help pricing antique flintlock lots of pics

tigertrout

Regular
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
DSCN1833.JPG


I really need help with this one.
I have very little experience with flintlocks.
all I know is that its worth somewhere between $100 and .....whatever.

I hope there are some real experienced gunnuters out there.

the lock is marked
Jn. Jones & Co and the barrel is birmingham marked
approximately 50-60 cal smoothbore.


thats about all I know. are there any other websites I could try for pricing..?

DSCN18341.JPG


DSCN18351.JPG


DSCN18401.JPG


DSCN18583.JPG


DSCN1859.JPG


DSCN18602.JPG
 
The part which holds the flint.
I don't know if it is only the top portion which has been replaced, or the whole thing, but its pretty bad. Certainly hurts the value of the gun.
 
the #### looks like a replacment at some point or other.... over all though a very nice piece and worth more then 100$ by a long shot, put the right kind of #### on it and thated help, personly if its in the condition that it looks to be in I'd put no less then 1000$ on it more then likley more do some reasearch and maybe google the name on the lock, dosnt mean the guy who made the lock assembled the gun though, but worth looking up.
 
Well normally i dont really like flintlock pistols but i like that one.

Look at the fine checkering on the grip thats sign of good workmanship.
 
flinter

tiriaq

i have been researching quite a while ....and examining many flintlocks and although i don't remember specifically that #### mechanism being out of place what style do you believe it should have.......?
 
The back of the top jaw should rest on that little pedestal just behind and above the top jaw. The screw which clamps the jaw down should have a round or oval "bulb" at the upper end with a cross hole or screw driver slot or both in it.

cheers mooncoon
 
flintlock price info

hmm-looks like a lepage in the upper left corner as well. all 3 are interesting but the flinter is different. the #### looks most likely to be a replacement so does drop the value, notice there is no rear sight so this would a duelling pistol most likely,probably 1830 's. i would pay 1000 for it without much difficulty. lets talk if you like. regards
 
The #### could be a replacement ? or not ? who's to say it wasn't ordered like that ? Beautiful, interesting pistol.
.

the purpose of the shelf on the spur of the #### is so that the top jaw tilts down slightly when clamped on the correct thickness flint and if anything pulls it towards the spur. As shown in the photo, the top jaw under tension would angle up and squeeze the flint out of the jaw. The screw and knurled nut are conspicuously replacements.
the only strange thing to my eyes is that the top jaw is very well sculpted and does not look like an amateur job so I am guessing must be off some othergun

cheers mooncoon
 
flintlock pistol

good point on the captive ramrod as that design was more to the military model. could mean that this was a backup short range piece but rather nicer
.than most military pieces of the time. regards
 
the purpose of the shelf on the spur of the #### is so that the top jaw tilts down slightly when clamped on the correct thickness flint and if anything pulls it towards the spur. As shown in the photo, the top jaw under tension would angle up and squeeze the flint out of the jaw. The screw and knurled nut are conspicuously replacements.
the only strange thing to my eyes is that the top jaw is very well sculpted and does not look like an amateur job so I am guessing must be off some othergun

cheers mooncoon


the purpose of the shelf on the spur of the #### is so that the top jaw tilts down slightly when clamped on the correct thickness flint and if anything pulls it towards the spur. As shown in the photo, the top jaw under tension would angle up and squeeze the flint out of the jaw.
Agreed, but that would have to be a very thick flint ,I would agree the knurled nut could be a replacement, but it's entirely possible to have been special ordered.
I'm wondering if it was made for a Cavalry Officer ?
Cheers nessy.
 
As shown in the photo, the top jaw under tension would angle up and squeeze the flint out of the jaw.
Agreed, but that would have to be a very thick flint ,I would agree the knurled nut could be a replacement, but it's entirely possible to have been special ordered.

The top jaw would squeeze almost any flint except the cut agate flints (as in modern) out of the jaws. Also in talking to another gunnut, he pointed out that the #### is quite a bit too large for the lock; almost any flint would finish well in front of the vent hole. Knurling on something like a cylindrical nut while not impossible would be unlikely in the extreme. It would have to be hand filed into the nut as metal lathes and knurling tools did not exist at that time

cheers mooncoon
 
flintlock

great observations fellas.............i would have missed the spur altogether. althought I don't know wether it would have affected my purchase price.

I appreciate all the comments but how about some values........

myself I was estimating a purchase price of around $750-$950.

probably at the lower end now knowing about the spur and possibly hammer.


values welcome........don't be shy.
 
Its a handsome pistol, I would love to give it a home.
Alas for the lack of funds ;)

900 dollars minimum, she looks like she needs a fine presentation case with flask and ball mold.
 
Back
Top Bottom