help with 455 bulldog and id maker

demencuik

Member
Rating - 95.9%
65   3   6
Location
sask
I have a 455 buldog no elg proof no markings other than Jt under grip and very small and deep proof marks that look like crossed swords
Or pehaps a fanned plant On the frame and barrel. It is nickel plated and has no other marks or numbers.
It is currently 12.6 need to I'd to deregister. Any suggestions? Sources to look to attwempt to I'd maker?
Can't post pic from my black berry but if you want I can send a pic. Pm or post if you have any ideas. I need to identify maker to get antique status!
Thanks
Rob
 
Last edited:
if there is no markings it will stay as a 12.6 and the crossed swords i think i know the maker ill get back to you.

update. nvm. i dont have the pm's left in my inbox. the gun i had got a date with a chop saw. it was made in 1900's and cal was 320 and the proof mark had something that look like what you have.
 
You can often get a better look at the proofs in a good close-up picture. If you can, take some pics of the proofmarks from as close as you can focus on macro setting. The proofs you are describing sound like some i have. I'll try to post a picture.

ok here's the picture

0016-1.jpg


Does yours look like this one? I don't know what it is either, was told it might be a Birmingham proof. Maybe somebody else knows what it is?
 
Last edited:
i have a similar antique with the proofs like jethunter is showing on the cylinder and barrel but no other markings (which IIRC is a Birmingham proof). I was told by someone that some British makers would buy parts from Belgium to assemble and sell in Britain, some would apply their own names and some, obviously, would not.
Good luck, Blair
 
you need to post a picture ;)
if its a british proof like jethunters theres a good chance its a british gun and can be dated the problem with most british proofs is they used them both pre and post 1900.
can someone good with comps post the picture for him ?
 
Maker/retailer identification might help, particularly if the business had disappeared prior to 1898.
A post-1813 Birmingham proof isn't of much help in dating.
These generic revolvers were made over a rather long period, and it can be very difficult to definitively date one.
 
bulldog.jpg
I know this is bad photo best I could do with my old blackberry. cfc has decided it was likely made by jean thonnard in belguim. cannot find any date reference to his work. if anyone has any info on him and when and or where he worked that would help. maybe he stopped producing fire arms befor 1898.
thanks
 
Last edited:
bulldog.jpg
I know this is bad photo best I could do with my old blackberry. cfc has decided it was likely made by jean thonnard in belguim. cannot find any date reference to his work. if anyone has any info on him and when and or where he worked that would help. maybe he stopped producing fire arms befor 1898.
thanks

I had a different revolver identified here: Littlegun.be
 
I looked at that gun at the show in Regina last weekend. I dug like crazy to find some info to de-register it but no luck...even called a collector in Belgium who deals with that stuff. Couldn't find enough info to confirm pre-1898.
 
Back
Top Bottom