Help with an e. remington and sons damascus 12g

jhawes

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I am a No 4 Mk 1 guy, so this one is out of my league

Tis an E. Remington and Sons Damascus double barreled 12g shotgun made in Ilion NY. Serial # 8999i.

Based on research it is the 1882 model and uses black powder? Am I correct?

What kind of value do these have these days?

Cheers, Jim
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 144
I am a No 4 Mk 1 guy, so this one is out of my league

Tis an E. Remington and Sons Damascus double barreled 12g shotgun made in Ilion NY. Serial # 8999i.

Based on research it is the 1882 model and uses black powder? Am I correct?

What kind of value do these have these days?

Cheers, Jim


No idea what it's worth but what a beauty! Great find!
 
If it is mechanically sound, the action tight, and the bores are good, it might well be a shooter. A Remington was a much better gun than many of the other doubles being sold at the same time. It will likely not have 2 3/4" chambers. If it were mine, I would use only black powder.
Value? $250?
 
can't comment on the value ...but i can comment on the damascus barrel as i've made lots of damascus steel .. its made of a layered steel ( say bout 14 to16 layers that is forge welded together and then twisted tightly ... and then you have to stock reduce it to see the star pattern ... ) then its welded on a mandrel as gun barrels were done back then ..

you can check it out on this site... good explanation of the process even if the author is a #### ( connect the http together in the link to make it work )
h ttp://www.vikingsword.com/serpent.html

by the way ... your firearm is very nice !!!
 
Value is in the eye of the beholder but a few years ago I bought a Remington 1889 with fluid steel barrels for $100 and shot BP handloads at clay targets and, using bismuth, at ducks and geese. That looks to be in nice condition so maybe a bit more if the bores are good enough to shoot but that is always a gamble with those oldiies. Burst barrels could mean lost fingers or much worse! As for ammo, it probably was used with brass cartridges and paper ones that were either 2 3/4" or possibly 2 5/8". Apparently there are American or British companies that sell BP cartridges so do some on-line research. Making your own handloads is not difficult, especially if you have a single stage 12 ga loader already. Federal Gold medal paper hulls work very well.
 
Post pics of:

the water table
underside of foreend
and see if any marks/logos can be made out on the butt pad.

1882 or 1885/87 or 1889? though according to the BB they all had checkered pistol grip.


Edit: OK looking closer at hammer shape it matches the 1882 closest. If so...

MODEL 1882 SxS HAMMER

(includes the unique Model 1883), 10 or 12 ga., 30 or 32 in. decarbonized, twist or damascus steel barrels, rib marked "E. REMINGTON & SONS, ILION, N.Y.", typical top lever, all grades have checkered pistol grip and forend with various designs according to grade. All contain Deeley & Edge forend catch. Approx. 16,000 Model 1882s, possibly 1,000 Model 1883s were mfg. from 1882-88. Started with ser. no. 1,000.

Check this link for hammer pics h t t p://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=231250
 
Last edited:
any suggestions on where to buy the correct shells for these?

I think you need to be thinking in terms of reloading. If the chambers are 2 5/8", I shoot handloaded 2 3/4" PLASTIC shells in mine with either black powder loads or some smokeless loads that allow me to load down to around 7000 psi as opposed to the 10 - 12,000 psi loads of store bought shells. With black powder you want to use fiber wads and no plastic shot cups and will all loads I would strongly recommend lead or bismuth shot

cheers mooncoon
 
If it is mechanically sound, the action tight, and the bores are good, it might well be a shooter. A Remington was a much better gun than many of the other doubles being sold at the same time. It will likely not have 2 3/4" chambers. If it were mine, I would use only black powder.
Value? $250?

that's what i bought mine for

always willing to pick up another ;)
 
I'd pick ghat up in s heart beat for $250!
Price depends on what a person's personal value is for a vintage gun.
Myself , I am looking for shooters not pristine collector items, so I would be prepared to pay quite a bit more for some guns like this one than say, a person looking to add to a collection.
i have an accumulation of guns that I shoot , not a collection that I , um, look at! No offence to the collectors mind you!
Cat
 
Nice gun. Seen these from 200-350 depending who likes it. As for reloading brass shells are best. Lots of info on YouTube on reloading. Really easy if you have a wood dowel and drill press.
 
Back
Top Bottom