Help with an old 12GA - Wilmot.

Grinthock

Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good day;

I was given a Wilmot 12GA from a friend as he has it in his basement and didn't know much about it.

Photos are provided here, what I know is.. It's a Wilmot 12GA, it's stamped "Royal Damascus". He tells me the firing pin's are removed (confirmed).

One of the hammers is broken, the action has some play in the lock, and it has sat for a very long time on the top of a shelf.

Other than the "Don't you dare fire it" rule for Damascus firearms, can anyone give me some information about what this is, from my reading, it's not worth much.

17861052775_36ada4d364_h.jpg
 
it was made in Belgium based on the stock carving and more importantly the perron (looks like a mace or eiffel tower) and the inspection mark that looks like a double english pound sign. If the bores are good, it is probably safe to shoot with black powder or light smokeless hand loads (under 7000 psi).

It looks to be in good condition other than I am guessing a cracked wrist. Hard to tell when it was made because strangely it does not have a belgian proof mark ie an oval with ELG* inside or the same mark with a crown over it (which is post 1893)
I would guess it to be worth $150 and probably $200 in this neck of the woods

cheers mooncoon
 
it was made in Belgium based on the stock carving and more importantly the perron (looks like a mace or eiffel tower) and the inspection mark that looks like a double english pound sign. If the bores are good, it is probably safe to shoot with black powder or light smokeless hand loads (under 7000 psi).

It looks to be in good condition other than I am guessing a cracked wrist. Hard to tell when it was made because strangely it does not have a belgian proof mark ie an oval with ELG* inside or the same mark with a crown over it (which is post 1893)
I would guess it to be worth $150 and probably $200 in this neck of the woods

cheers mooncoon

I think it does Mooncoon, it's hard to see but I'm pretty sure i see it on the left barrel .
It also sounds like it needs a lot of work to get back into operating condition.

Cat
 
The carving looks to be well executed. If it appears to be contemporary there are some folks that would take it over one that is left plain. It doesn't add a premium but (to the right buyer) it might add $50-$100 (if you're patient, and are looking to sell).
 
Not specifically looking to sell the firearm, he had it in his basement and I said I would look into it for him.

At this point what I told him is I would at least clean and lubricate it so that it doesn't deteriorate any more than it has. There is some surface rust but the markings on the barrel and patina is still in reasonable shape. I did find an "ELG" marking on the barrel

I am not an antique firearm aficionado (which is why I came here) so I appreciate the information. So this firearm is a blackpowder gun?
 
Yup it would have been a black powder cartridge gun, more than likely 2 1/2" chambers.
I built some ammo fro a friend a few years back who had a gun very similar, pretty neat with glass eyes in the lion's head on the grip!.
he killed a few ruffed grouse with it then hung it over the fire place.
Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom