Help with identification & history

DANCESWITHEMPTIES

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Purchased an old percussion .58 cal./ 20 ga. o/u rifle last year. Other than it being of German manufacture? CHP Mayer in Geisslingen stamped on barrel. Can't seem to find any other information online about this gun or it's maker. Anyone have any knowledge or references on this rifle? Thanks in advance for any info. -Dances

CHPMayerpic3.jpg

CHPMayer.jpg

CHPMayerpic2.jpg
 

Attachments

  • CHPMayerpic3.jpg
    CHPMayerpic3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 327
  • CHPMayer.jpg
    CHPMayer.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 325
  • CHPMayerpic2.jpg
    CHPMayerpic2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 325
Can we please see all the markings on this fine old Bockbuchseflinte? IMO the 'CHP' you note is actually CHR, the abbreviation for the forename Christoph. Without having a copy of Stockel to hand, I can't help you out with the maker, but the local is well-known for its gunmakers at that time. A German-made combination gun like this would not have been made in inches, so your .58cal is most likely 15mm calibre. The proof marks may well be out of sight underneath the wood, and present on both barrels - we need to see them to date the piece. It is likely to have been made around the 1840's or '50.
 
Thanks for the info. Wasn’t sure if that ‘P’ was an ‘R’ or not. I will try & get that stock pulled this week when I get a chance. But there are no other stampings visible with it on.
 
BTW, it doesn't look like any kind of stampings to me - much more like chiselled and stippled. You can still see the marking-out lines, incorporated into the lettering, a very common feature at the time.
 
I’ll see if I can get it pulled a part tonight after work. Pretty good crack in the wrist of the stock. Was thinking of having a new one made for it with the old furniture; as the bores look dark, but good. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t something of real collector’s grade... LOL!
 
As Brutus notes, that's one rare piece right there and I wouldn't be thinking of taking it apart unless I knew exactly what I was doing. For instance, it MAY have a hook breech, like a lot of percussion guns of the period.
 
.
The book, "Small Arms Makers" by Colonel Robert E. Gardner gives two references for Meyer (no first names though.)

Meyer ----------- -------, Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria.......1846-1851

Meyer & Co., Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria ..........1848-1853

.
 
.
The book, "Small Arms Makers" by Colonel Robert E. Gardner gives two references for Meyer (no first names though.)

Meyer ----------- -------, Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria.......1846-1851

Meyer & Co., Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria ..........1848-1853

.

This name is not Meyer, but Mayer. It is a common spelling in this part of Wuerttemburg. There are current gun dealers with this name, perhaps they are related?
 
As Brutus notes, that's one rare piece right there and I wouldn't be thinking of taking it apart unless I knew exactly what I was doing. For instance, it MAY have a hook breech, like a lot of percussion guns of the period.

It this point I was just going to try & remove the stock. Nothing else. Would you advise against it? Know a few things about the subject, but nothing about this gun.
 
Think I just answered my own question... I don't believe that the stock is going to come off by simply removing the wedge... LOL! I believe I might just take this to a reputable gunsmith in the area. Would love to get this rifle to a serviceable level without messing it up.
 
Nice old gun. Personally I would repair it if possible as opposed to replacement. I have done a few bad breaks with two part epoxy and hardwood dowels. Noticeable repairs but not objectionable to look at. Plus super strong as long as the wood is sound and not oil soaked.
 
This name is not Meyer, but Mayer. It is a common spelling in this part of Wuerttemburg. There are current gun dealers with this name, perhaps they are related?

MY ERROR

At 77 years old, the eyes are getting a bit old, and the 1000 yard targets are getting a bit blurry.

No further mention of a MAYER in Small Arms Makers. Good luck on your quest
 
Back
Top Bottom