Help with info on this revolver ?

cowbelly

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 99.7%
316   1   0
Location
northern Ontario
Can someone give some info and or tell me where to find info on this revolver ? Name on barrel is Lowe Chester. Google has not been much help. 4" barrel, 6 shot, approx. .41 cal. I would like to know approx. year it was made. Thanks





 
English, percussion, maker/retailer probably Lowe, operating out of Chester (or some form thereof)
English proof marks, black powder of course.
Nice item!

Possibly try Internet Gun Club for more info.
 
Last edited:
Try oldiron on here. He's been off of the radar lately, but he's the most extensive and varied collection of old pistols that I've ever seen.
Good fellow too
 
British proofs. Crown over GP (Gunmakers Proof), Crown over V (View).
These transition revolvers fell from favour when conventional revolvers became available. 1840s, '50s.
 
As Tiriaq mentioned, this style of gun didn't last long. Mostly an upgrade from the pepperbox. Many seem to be well engraved. I don't know the Lowe name, many companies jumped on the band wagon with the "newest thing". I see John Denner still has a nice one for sale, 1400.oo tho. I've been thinking on it. He might be the guy to ask on the Lowe name. He deals with a lot of British stuff.
Yours is a nice looking find. Does it have a cap trap on the butt?
 
Yes it does have the cap trap, also has a bullet mold / ball starter
As Tiriaq mentioned, this style of gun didn't last long. Mostly an upgrade from the pepperbox. Many seem to be well engraved. I don't know the Lowe name, many companies jumped on the band wagon with the "newest thing". I see John Denner still has a nice one for sale, 1400.oo tho. I've been thinking on it. He might be the guy to ask on the Lowe name. He deals with a lot of British stuff.
Yours is a nice looking find. Does it have a cap trap on the butt?
 
looking at the nipples, it has nice looking nipples still that gun could be fixed up and still be a shooter.
i think its a fairly rare gun to. nice looking gun. That name on it could be the retailer who sold it.
try looking in fladermans guide at simlar models. if theres anything like it in there. look under the grips for any markings in the frames side thats where a makers mark might be found, if the grips come off without wrecking them.
 
Boothroyd's directory of British Gunmakers lists two people by the name of Lowe working in Chester.James-1864 and William -1847 to 1869
 
The bar hammer was common on all these transition pieces. Look up Pettengill for general info as they were I think the most prolific. Have parts for 2 of these and never can get my mind around to assembling them.
 
Back
Top Bottom