Hi All
I'm a new member trying to find information. I have tried Google, I have tried it seems almost everything and then the other day I found this site!
I was given a couple of old rifles by my Grandfather (who has since passed), and I'm trying to figure out some info on them. He himself was unsure of their history, just that he remembered them being old when he was a kid and he was 92 when he gave them to me, so that gave me a place to start. I'm mostly interested in origin/history, but would also like to know a value although they are something that I would never sell.
What I'm trying to find out is what I've got.
Rifle # 1) I'm pretty sure I have a Pattern 53 Enfield Snyder MkII **. There are several markings on it which I have tried to identify but have had no luck.






Rifle # 2) I have no idea about this one. Looks like a double barrel, double trigger shotgun. Only markings are W Chance and Son on the side plates, and I just recently found "London Fine ____" on the top of the barrel. Because of wear I can't read the last bit of that marking, but if I had to guess it would be London Fine Twist. I tried some baby powder on it but no luck. No dates, no nothing that I can see. All I know is that it seems a little ornamental. The hammers are fish. Yeah, weird.



That's all I've got. I hope that there's someone out there that can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated. I really hope the photos work. Awesome forum, I'm glad I found it!
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!
I'm a new member trying to find information. I have tried Google, I have tried it seems almost everything and then the other day I found this site!
I was given a couple of old rifles by my Grandfather (who has since passed), and I'm trying to figure out some info on them. He himself was unsure of their history, just that he remembered them being old when he was a kid and he was 92 when he gave them to me, so that gave me a place to start. I'm mostly interested in origin/history, but would also like to know a value although they are something that I would never sell.
What I'm trying to find out is what I've got.
Rifle # 1) I'm pretty sure I have a Pattern 53 Enfield Snyder MkII **. There are several markings on it which I have tried to identify but have had no luck.






Rifle # 2) I have no idea about this one. Looks like a double barrel, double trigger shotgun. Only markings are W Chance and Son on the side plates, and I just recently found "London Fine ____" on the top of the barrel. Because of wear I can't read the last bit of that marking, but if I had to guess it would be London Fine Twist. I tried some baby powder on it but no luck. No dates, no nothing that I can see. All I know is that it seems a little ornamental. The hammers are fish. Yeah, weird.



That's all I've got. I hope that there's someone out there that can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated. I really hope the photos work. Awesome forum, I'm glad I found it!
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!




















































