Help...

gnmontey

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Location
AB
Can't get a Pietta 44 cap @ ball revolver back together after trying some Pyrodex Pellets. The bbl wedge won't seat:eek:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

M
 
is the cylinder currently loaded? If yes it sounds as if you have balls projecting in front of the cylinder.

If no, is there some crud in the socket that the cylinder pin fits into or is the cylinder pin rotated a bit so that the holes don't line up?

without the gun in our hot little hands, we are sort of guessing at what your problem might be

cheers mooncoon
 
Take the barrel off the gun and see if the wedge will make it through to the other side,if it does put the barrel back on and remove the wedge so that you can look through the rectangular hole. If there is misalignment you will be able to see which way it has to go. Even a small amount of crud around the two alignment pins can cause this problem. I have a Pietta.44 and the cylinder pin wobbles around but it is tight when the wedge is inserted.
 
Pulled it apart and cleaned every surface that would prevent the bbl from seating fully with a tooth brush. Finally got the wedge to seat. Should mention that the wedge has never seated to the point where the wedge spring clip extends past the frame. Very tight fit. I have been using a small brass gun smithing hammer to seat the wedge. The pistol was purchased new from MARSTAR 4 years ago. Should I hit the wedge harder and force it thu?

Thanks,

M
 
Last edited:
I recently fitted a new wedge into an antique pocket pistol. At first the wedge would only go about half way through the cylinder arbor so i tapped it in a bit and then removed it, the point at which it stuck was obvious because the bluing had been worn off down to shiny metal. I filed more off of this area and tried the fit again...it fit a little better and went through the arbor a bit further. I used a felt marker to darken the shiny area again and tapped it in again. The idea is to find the area of the wedge that needs to be filed down in order to get it to fit. With an old wedge you should darken it with the felt pen before starting.
I took my time because it cost $30.00 for the new wedge and took two months to get it from Colt Parts.
I am very happy with the fit that I got after an hour or so of careful filing and fitting.
 
Back
Top Bottom