Photos below of a couple of specialty tools I made recently. Definitely not fancy but they work (at least sometimes)
First up is a modified spring vice. I am sure at least a few of you have had springs that were a pain in the bum to compress prior to removing or installing. Short upper arms or wide V shape so that they keep slipping out of the vice. What I tried today was to put an adjustable hook at the end of the spring vice, which kept the spring from slipping forward. The hook can be screwed in or out according to need and where it is in the way, it can be turned sideways or upside down or removed completely. Almost forgot to mention that I silver soldered a block onto the spring vice, to give enough material to drill and tap


The second gizmo is intended for guns where the front lock screw blocks the ramrod hole. I have seen at least a few guns where the front lock screw had a notch ground in it to let the ramrod by. I milled a piece of 3/8 round stock into a long taper and ground and filed a shallow groove in the top of it. The outside end, I bent down so that there was something to hang on to and remove the metal wedge when drilling was finished. I had to use a gouge to make the entrance of the ramrod hole into an oval to let the drill pass above the small end of the wedge. I used a very blunt pointed 3/8" drill to raise the top of the ramrod hole, back as far as the screw. Then used a 5/16" home made end mill to drill past the screw for another 2". Reason for the end mill was to prevent the hole from wandering. In practice, the metal shim rotated slightly so that the new ramrod hole went sideways slightly. I also had to glue a short wedge ahead of the front lock screw to guide the tapered ramrod up and over the screw. In the case of guns where the front screw only interferes a small amount, you probably do not need that wooden wedge
cheers mooncoon


First up is a modified spring vice. I am sure at least a few of you have had springs that were a pain in the bum to compress prior to removing or installing. Short upper arms or wide V shape so that they keep slipping out of the vice. What I tried today was to put an adjustable hook at the end of the spring vice, which kept the spring from slipping forward. The hook can be screwed in or out according to need and where it is in the way, it can be turned sideways or upside down or removed completely. Almost forgot to mention that I silver soldered a block onto the spring vice, to give enough material to drill and tap


The second gizmo is intended for guns where the front lock screw blocks the ramrod hole. I have seen at least a few guns where the front lock screw had a notch ground in it to let the ramrod by. I milled a piece of 3/8 round stock into a long taper and ground and filed a shallow groove in the top of it. The outside end, I bent down so that there was something to hang on to and remove the metal wedge when drilling was finished. I had to use a gouge to make the entrance of the ramrod hole into an oval to let the drill pass above the small end of the wedge. I used a very blunt pointed 3/8" drill to raise the top of the ramrod hole, back as far as the screw. Then used a 5/16" home made end mill to drill past the screw for another 2". Reason for the end mill was to prevent the hole from wandering. In practice, the metal shim rotated slightly so that the new ramrod hole went sideways slightly. I also had to glue a short wedge ahead of the front lock screw to guide the tapered ramrod up and over the screw. In the case of guns where the front screw only interferes a small amount, you probably do not need that wooden wedge
cheers mooncoon




















































