Hornady Great Plains Bullets

maliboy67

Regular
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I just bought a T/C .50 inline, I would like to try .50 Hornady great plains bullets. I believe they are 385 grains, anybody have good luck with these with their inline rifle? If I stick with sabot and .45 bullets I will buy the sabots and use cast .45 bullets as the jacketed are pretty expensive. I have had good luck with heavy lead bullets and don't see any reason to use jacketed in my inline.
 
I just bought a T/C .50 inline, I would like to try .50 Hornady great plains bullets. I believe they are 385 grains, anybody have good luck with these with their inline rifle? If I stick with sabot and .45 bullets I will buy the sabots and use cast .45 bullets as the jacketed are pretty expensive. I have had good luck with heavy lead bullets and don't see any reason to use jacketed in my inline.

I've only ever used them in a Hawkin style percussion rifle, in front of 100 grains of real black. Tragectory like a thrown anvil, but they smack down deer real good.
 
I used them in both my Hawken .50 and my in-line .45. I was impressed and if not for the ease of loading and no fuss I would have stayed with them....but am using power belts. I cast all my own lead for everything else. They worked well and the only deer I shot with the Hawken laid right where it had stood when I squeezed the trigger. David
 
Your TC inline is more than likely a 1:28 twist which might be too much for that lead conical they seem to prefer a 1:48 twist. And it may also be too fast for a cast lead as I have tried 300gr and 250gr lead .452 casts in my TC Endevour and they grouped worse than a shotgun with charges starting at 70grs T7 to 100gr.
IMO, stick with a good sabot that shoots & groups well for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom