hornady leverevolution 45-70

brybenn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Location
southern ontario
Can anyone tell me the operating pressure of this factory load? I've searched the web and even mailed the company and no response yet. The gun I'm looking at is rated for 28000psi which I believe is trapdoor loads I maybe wrong. I have read numerous reports of ppl shooting buffalo bore and higher pressure handloads with no problems in this gun. I don't handload for rifles yet so wish to stick with factory ammo for hunting with this double. I don't want to wreck the gun or my face by loading her up with hotter loads as I'm not a very guy and if one were to blowup or fail I'd be the one holding it
 
I'm not sure of the pressure but i know they are supposed to be a lot hotter than a lot of the other factory ammo. What i understand is a lot of the ammo is a bit milder to accomidate older 45-70 rifles that were not designed for the higher pressures. Obviously these are designed for the marlins that are quite robust. I wouldn't think you would have any issue hunting with the other loads.
 
Can anyone tell me the operating pressure of this factory load? I've searched the web and even mailed the company and no response yet. The gun I'm looking at is rated for 28000psi which I believe is trapdoor loads I maybe wrong. I have read numerous reports of ppl shooting buffalo bore and higher pressure handloads with no problems in this gun. I don't handload for rifles yet so wish to stick with factory ammo for hunting with this double. I don't want to wreck the gun or my face by loading her up with hotter loads as I'm not a very guy and if one were to blowup or fail I'd be the one holding it

I don't beleive the Hornady ammo is any hotter than other factory ammo, is the Gun a Baikal Double? If so you should have no problems.
 
HR4570_hornady325LR.jpg


This was a pressure trace I captured for Hornady 325gr Leverevolution shot from a H&R buffalo classsic. It appears to peek around 28,000 psi.

Personally I would not shoot this ammo in a firearms only rated for 28,000. there needs to be some margin of safety
 
Last edited:
"...in this gun..." In what firearm?
Hornady doesn't publish the pressures. Leverevolution ammo is loaded for lever actions and modern single shot rifles. No Trapdoors. Hodgdon max Trapdoor loads run at well under 28,000 CUP(PSI isn't given and there's no converting) with all powders but one for a 300 grain jacketed bullet.
 
I've shot both Remington 405's and Hornady's in my Marlin 1895 and I can tell you that the Hornady is a hotter load. Stick with the Remington 405's they are pussy cats.
 
It seems that there is no clear consensus on what pressures are acceptable for trapdoors.

Some recommend pressures below 20,000 CUP

http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/FAQ.html

On the other hand some reloading manuals suggest 28,000 as max

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I'm no expert, but I'd guess that reasonable pressure for your gun depends on the age of the gun, condition, etc.

I'm in the process of sourcing a trapdoor for shooting, and intend to keep pressures at 20,000 or below, just in case.
 
don't know the pressures, but when using my marlin 336 rc in 35 remington last year, both myself and my buddy noted an increase in felt recoil and report of the 'leverevolution' ammunition compared to remington, both were 200 grain loads.
I would call Hornady and ask one of their technicians, my guess is they'll recommend NOT to use it, but then you'd have your answer.

TB
 
It is a baikal gun I'm questioning about. Many say yes but everyone here says no. I will call hornady and ask. If its rated at 28000 cup then it should have at least a 20% safety Margin over I would think. Thus allowing it to shoot loads of max 28000cup. Ill post the reply I get from hornady
 
Back
Top Bottom