Hornady Steel Match 75gr 223 - range report

Grizzlypeg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
Got a chance to shoot off some 75gr Hornady Steel match ammo that I picked up in December. Nice warm day, about -5c at the range, hardly any wind. Rifle is an AR-15 with heavy bbl, 1:8 twist. The rifle typically shoots 1 moa 10 shot groups at 100 yards with hand loads of 69 gr SMK bullets.

The steel match produced groups ranging from 0.82" to 1.135 under the above conditions. I'd call that pretty decent for a reasonably priced ammunition. I will buy more. At the very least, its ready to shoot ammo that costs significantly less than typical match grade ammo, and seems to shoot just about as well.
 
Where are you getting the 75 grain? I am looking for Hornady Steel Match in 62 or 69 grain but all I can find if 55.

It is super cheap for hollowpoint name brand ammo. What's the deal there?
 
Yes, it would appear that the cost savings of a steel case over brass cuts the cost. I bought the 75gr at Jo Brooks in Brandon. I'm fairly happy with the performance. I'm not the greatest shot with a ar-15. I find the ergonomics not as fitting to me as some other rifles, but its the greatest in my collection for combining accuracy and rapid fire and reload.
 
Oh I knew steel makes it quite a bit cheaper but this stuff is almost as cheap as MFS ammo and it's "match". Is it really match ammo or is that just the name? I don't know much about accuracy standards so I don't know what qualifies as match grade ammo.

Also, if you don't reload is there any disadvantage to steel ammo? I just started using it feeds just fine in my Tavor and I can use the hollow points for coyotes.
 
Back
Top Bottom