House fire gun.

First of all, not all house fires are the same, so, you can't make a blanket statement that all guns in a house fire should be scrapped. As for the steel used in these old guns, in most of them , there is not enough carbon, or any other alloying elements in the steel to make it hard when exposed to a high temperature and quenched, or, soft if it is heated and left to cool slowly.
Not all guns which have been in a house fire can be restored of course, but a lot of them can be safely restored.

I agree.
 
I am curious as to what the gun was originally chambered for and if it is to be restored to shoot the original ammo.
 
Last edited:
To answer your original question, take a screwdriver that fits the heads of the screws perfectly (make on if needed), secure the gun in a padded vice with the screw straight up, and very carefully hit the screwdriver straight on with a medium weight hammer. Try the screw once you have done this, and if still stuck, repeat.
The screws and frame may both be so packed full of rust that even if you get the screws off without damage, they may be unusable.
ivor
 
Very good suggestion, and even using that method Ive manage to twist the heads off a couple screws in the past. Sometimes I don't even realize my own strength.
 
To answer your original question, take a screwdriver that fits the heads of the screws perfectly (make on if needed), secure the gun in a padded vice with the screw straight up, and very carefully hit the screwdriver straight on with a medium weight hammer. Try the screw once you have done this, and if still stuck, repeat.
The screws and frame may both be so packed full of rust that even if you get the screws off without damage, they may be unusable.
ivor
Sounds good, I'll do that too, much like an impact driver? Put a little tension on as I tap it?

The screws seem very soft. The only one I've tried so far was the cylinder pin screw that sticks out quite a bit and it just spread the head of the screw apart. I stopped right away because I didn't want to break it off. That was after 6 months of soaking and 2 rounds of heating around the screws with a butane torch
 
Sometimes it is better not to be centered. Drill close enough to the edge, and the screw can be collapsed.

Either way, it is entirely possible to remove screws without damage to other parts.
 
Sometimes it is better not to be centered. Drill close enough to the edge, and the screw can be collapsed.

Either way, it is entirely possible to remove screws without damage to other parts.

I know its possible, but Ive had to drill and retap to the next size larger before after a slightly botched attempt.
 
First of all, not all house fires are the same, so, you can't make a blanket statement that all guns in a house fire should be scrapped. As for the steel used in these old guns, in most of them , there is not enough carbon, or any other alloying elements in the steel to make it hard when exposed to a high temperature and quenched, or, soft if it is heated and left to cool slowly.
Not all guns which have been in a house fire can be restored of course, but a lot of them can be safely restored.


True. And almost exactly what I said, which is that not all of them can be safely restored.
Which also means it is certainly not an old wive's tale like you said earlier, is it? :)
 
Last edited:
Sometimes it is better not to be centered. Drill close enough to the edge, and the screw can be collapsed.

Either way, it is entirely possible to remove screws without damage to other parts.

So if the screw heads just twist off, I can still drill out the screws? I have a machine shop, but this is very delicate compared to what I usually work with.
 
Sounds good, I'll do that too, much like an impact driver? Put a little tension on as I tap it?

The screws seem very soft. The only one I've tried so far was the cylinder pin screw that sticks out quite a bit and it just spread the head of the screw apart. I stopped right away because I didn't want to break it off. That was after 6 months of soaking and 2 rounds of heating around the screws with a butane torch
Very much like an impact driver......but a very careful one :p If the gun is rusted badly you might get them out, but the threads will have to be re-tapped to a larger size.
ivor
 
Back
Top Bottom