I got what I thought was a nice little .30 rimfire from a guy on the EE. He mentioned that it didn't cycle / carry up properly and needed a little help to lock, had minor pitting in the bore, but otherwise was shootable.
Once I cleaned the rust out and put it back together properly, it worked as he described. When I got it, the side plate wasn't on properly and the cylinder latch wouldn't drop to allow the cylinder to rotate at all.
Unfortunately, being out of time, someone had dry-fired the crap out of it and peened the firing pin badly. It doesn't reach the safety notch any more, let alone a cartridge in the chamber.
But worse, I don't know if you would want to put a cartridge in this chamber:
That's a major dent, just visible inside the chamber too, and even though .30 rimfire is no .357 magnum, I don't know if that would ever be safe to shoot. I thought it might be possible to ream it slightly to get rid of the minor constriction.
Then I though, wait, I bought this as a project that was worth while. A simple carry up problem, something to play with this winter, and the challenge of loading up some .30 rimfire (ball) ammo ... with a reward at the end. A shootable little antique. With the cylinder damage, I'm not sure I want to play any more.
A grip was cracked too. A finishing nail body for the trigger pin, which falls out of course. Those are minor things you can expect with an antique. The damaged cylinder, clearly visible ... Has anyone here got something like this, and how bad is that dent?
I still like the little guy, but of course the amount of work needed to make it go bang just went way up. And with the cylinder damage, tell me if you would shoot it, or give up and send it back.
Thank you.
Once I cleaned the rust out and put it back together properly, it worked as he described. When I got it, the side plate wasn't on properly and the cylinder latch wouldn't drop to allow the cylinder to rotate at all.
Unfortunately, being out of time, someone had dry-fired the crap out of it and peened the firing pin badly. It doesn't reach the safety notch any more, let alone a cartridge in the chamber.
But worse, I don't know if you would want to put a cartridge in this chamber:
That's a major dent, just visible inside the chamber too, and even though .30 rimfire is no .357 magnum, I don't know if that would ever be safe to shoot. I thought it might be possible to ream it slightly to get rid of the minor constriction.
Then I though, wait, I bought this as a project that was worth while. A simple carry up problem, something to play with this winter, and the challenge of loading up some .30 rimfire (ball) ammo ... with a reward at the end. A shootable little antique. With the cylinder damage, I'm not sure I want to play any more.
A grip was cracked too. A finishing nail body for the trigger pin, which falls out of course. Those are minor things you can expect with an antique. The damaged cylinder, clearly visible ... Has anyone here got something like this, and how bad is that dent?
I still like the little guy, but of course the amount of work needed to make it go bang just went way up. And with the cylinder damage, tell me if you would shoot it, or give up and send it back.
Thank you.


















































