how can i measure BP without the tool?

m-134

Regular
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Location
Thunder Bay, ON
i havent had a chance to pick up one of those BP measuring devices yet, buti really would like to try out my old double barrel 12ga. what else would work for measuring out ~50gr of american pioneer ffg powder?
 
An empty case of 308 will give from 48 to 52 gr of BP filled to the rim... JP.
005_zps3425dccc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Last edited:
Check out the list here. The volumes given are gns of water. But black powder is darn near the same density as water. If you want to get real fussy then multiply the gns of water by 1.03 to get the weight of proper FFFg black powder. But for most cases you won't notice the 3% difference.

http://kwk.us/cases.html
 
I just saw a YouTube video re: black powder shooting and the guy was using an (empty) .303 British case as a powder measure for @50 grs. He then put a cut down .308 cartridge case over top of the .303 to seal it and the whole thing becomes a handy "quick loader".
 
With a muzzle loading arm using black powder, Shoot your arm often then occasionally put the powder of your measured load onto your palm, after enough of that you can eyeball half assed functional loads.

A handy trick in my opinion for when you inevitably will lose cool carved horn powder measures, run out of paper cartridges and other prepared loads, leaving you with a mess of ball cloth/paper
and powder.


I have 2lbs of 6 year old American pioneer...Hate the stuff,Ill never use it all up I hate it so
 
Last edited:
For REAL BP, the difference between volume & weight is nil. I've checked plenty of loads measured in volume against the weight (when loading cartridges). Works out the same. I can't speak for subs.

Shockys gold from American Powder is SHISEN! It is a mixture of particles ranging from dust to P gravel. One can measure 30grns by volume, dump onto a scale and get 40grs by weight
Then dump back into the measure and have it equal 25grns by volume, or perhaps 45grns by volume.....one time you might get allot of fines making it faster burning and heavier by weight, the next time you might get a lot of coarse pieces making it burn slow and light by weight.
Needless to say I don't use shockys gold any more no matter how clean it burns. Its just not consistent.
Instead I use 209 and subtract 15%
A volumetric powder measure is a indispensable tool for BP.
Buy one.
 
Last edited:
With a muzzle loading arm using black powder, Shoot your arm often then occasionally put the powder of your measured load onto your palm, after enough of that you can eyeball half assed functional loads.

that maybe ok with real bp because what dose not burn it just gets tossed out the muzzle but with subs its better to always use a measure for safety sake
 
as a previous poster has suggested get yurself a fired 308 case and fill er up and pour it down the muzzle of your smoke pole, no worries mate.
 
for those of U trying to shoot bp subs in your muzzles loaders (flintlocks especially) and have ignition problems. Use a binary load, 5grains of holy black down the muzzle followed by 65grains triple f 777, or pyrodex or any other synthetic brand. Use holy black 4F or 3F in the pan and yur good to go, works every time.
 
Grains, Avoirdupois scale (7,000 grains= one pound), are a measure of weight - not volume. If you want 50 grains just weigh it out on a powder scale then make a measure of that volume or adjust your adjustable measure to that volume. When making a fixed powder scoop, I like to pour 5 charges then take the total weight and divide by 5 to confirm it is throwing the charge accurately.
 
American Pioneer...that's the crap I got stuck with too! 3/4 pound! Thinking about homemade fireworks!:p {that's if it will ignite, sure won't in my guns}


I AGREE, worst money ive ever put into the shooting sports was trying that crap. The only way I can think of getting any reliability from the stuff is some duplex load nonsense that im not going to bother to try.


Stuff serves as a talismanic reminder to me that NOTHING is as good as REAL black powder.

Using the stuff as fireworks....maybe but I imagine it would be the sorriest most pain in the ass fireworks ever:p:canadaFlag:
 
Grains, Avoirdupois scale (7,000 grains= one pound), are a measure of weight - not volume. If you want 50 grains just weigh it out on a powder scale then make a measure of that volume or adjust your adjustable measure to that volume. When making a fixed powder scoop, I like to pour 5 charges then take the total weight and divide by 5 to confirm it is throwing the charge accurately.

don't do this with sub powders very dangerous sub black powders a measured by volume only as they are a for volume sub
 
don't do this with sub powders very dangerous sub black powders a measured by volume only as they are a for volume sub

I agree 100% - substitute powders have a different density than black powder and must only be measured by equivalent volume. The appropriate BP measure/scoop will measure the proper amount of sub. A couple of years ago I provided some info on this topic, including some empirical measurements that showed the actual differences encountered by weighing substitute powders versus measuring by equivalent volumes....IIRC weighing Pyrodex charges actually gave about 15% overloads compared to real BP.
 
One thing you can do is called using a square load. Equal volume of shot and powder. I weigh out 1 oz of shot and pour it into an old plastic hull. I then hold it up to the light and mark it with a felt pen where the height is and cut the hull off there. Than gives you one oz of shot by volume when dipping. Now just use that same self made measure for Pyrodex RS which is what I use. Or BP.
 
Back
Top Bottom