How do I remedy this?

53Izzy744

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Hi all,

Working on a pocket colt and installed new nipples to take size 11 caps. My issue is that while using CCI Magnum 11s i am dragging the head of the cap along the frame as it rotates. I have the nipples as far in as they will go but the cap still sticks out just enough to rub the ring around where the ratchet spins on the frame.

Will switching to regular 11s work? Are the magnums taller against the nipple because they hold more charge?

Here are some pics of the situation.





You can see how high the cap sits on the nipple. Is that what happens with magnums? Would regular caps sit further down towards the base of the nipple and give more clearance?
 
I have had the same problem. I had to file the nipples so they where shorter. After this the cap was sitting high causing misfires. I then had to spin the diameter of the nipple down slightly. Don’t remove too much. Remove all your nipples and work on one at a time. Making sure each one works. Once they work leave each one in and do the next. This can be done with a hand drill and a fine toothed flat file. I use my lathe but have done it at the range with the drill.
 
I have had the same problem. I had to file the nipples so they where shorter. After this the cap was sitting high causing misfires. I then had to spin the diameter of the nipple down slightly. Don’t remove too much. Remove all your nipples and work on one at a time. Making sure each one works. Once they work leave each one in and do the next. This can be done with a hand drill and a fine toothed flat file. I use my lathe but have done it at the range with the drill.

And was that with regular 11 caps you were having the same problem? Or was that with magnums as well?
 
#11 magnum caps are not the problem, it's the nipples themselves which are too long. They come in different lengths. Look at the nipples that TOTW sells, measure yours. You can email them and ask, they are very helpful and respond quickly.
 
#11 magnum caps are not the problem, it's the nipples themselves which are too long. They come in different lengths. Look at the nipples that TOTW sells, measure yours. You can email them and ask, they are very helpful and respond quickly.

Thats where i ordered from, they only had two types of nipples for the original colts, one stainless and the other regular, both had the same dimensions. I guess i will have to shorten them a bit. I will contact them and see if they can modify their cone heights for another set possibly.
 
Last edited:
#11 magnum caps are not the problem, it's the nipples themselves which are too long. They come in different lengths. Look at the nipples that TOTW sells, measure yours. You can email them and ask, they are very helpful and respond quickly.

That is correct, they come in different thread dia./lengths as well as over all length. Besides TOW try Dixie Gun Works.
 
Thanks guys, took the advice and shortened/thinned down the cones so that they clear the rear frame. Took my time and used a drill and a file. Then once i got my height close, i switched to sandpaper for the circumference of the cone to thin it down to seat the cap properly. Finished off with red then green scotchbrite pads (about 400 and 800 grit equivalent).








Edit to add i emailed track of the wolf and those are the only size they sell with that thread for the colts.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom