How do you clean...

marcus_bc

Regular
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
All I have in BP Rifle is a Lyman Hunter in 50cal barrel which is secured by 2 wedges. Simple and easy to remove barrel and clean without getting your furniture wet. Looking at flintlock rifles and some others, I notice that there are no wedges but there are tiny pin holes. Are these barrels just as easy to remove to clean or is it not advisable? How do you clean these barrels out then? I'm looking at buying a flintlock and was wondering.
Thanks
 
You don't generally remove the barrel on rifles that are built this way. There are kits that clamp a hose over the touch hole but I've always been a little skeptical about how well that would work. If it has a removable liner you would be able to screw a fitting in to attach a hose.

Personally, I just wedge a cleaning patch in place over the flash hole with the frizzen and use lots of wet patches. Then give everything a a good wipe down with some wet patches and oiled ones to clean up the outside.
 
All I have in BP Rifle is a Lyman Hunter in 50cal barrel which is secured by 2 wedges. Simple and easy to remove barrel and clean without getting your furniture wet. Looking at flintlock rifles and some others, I notice that there are no wedges but there are tiny pin holes. Are these barrels just as easy to remove to clean or is it not advisable? How do you clean these barrels out then? I'm looking at buying a flintlock and was wondering.
Thanks

It is as Viking says. If the rifle is a cap lock, a hose and adapter can be purchased from Track of the Wolf. I have one and it makes cleaning of a pinned, cap lock rifle almost as easy as cleaning one with wedges.

For my pinned flintlock, I lay the gun touch hole down on a wad of old towels or rags on a table and swab with several wet patches, then a succession of dry patches and then oiled patches. If I am not sure it is completely dry in the breech area, I give it a blast with a hair dryer.

I will buy a hose adapter for my flintlock some day. Every time I go to buy one, they are out of stock.V:I:
 
Back
Top Bottom