How does this happen

WR1894

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I picked up this pistol and the pictures, some how someone has lost the lock
The pistol is in very good condition so I guess the search will be on for a lock

http://

Any ideas, the photo shows the gun better then my picture

John
 
lost lock

get a good pattern of lock plate inlet then go through Dixie gun works site or track of the wolf to match up. the locks were pretty generic and you should come up with one that would fit. the piece looks original so if you could come up with an original plate the parts are not that hard to find and would make it a more valuable piece. have fun, rgds
 
The gun is a orginal Clark from London made in this time 1810 to 1815 and Track of the wolf has no locks small enough or the right shape. I am going to have to try and find a old lock that can be made fit.
John
 
why not just file out a side plate to match inletting and then use either large or small Siler parts to make a complete lock. The choice of large or small would depend on the size of the inlet on the actual gun. When making the side plate, I would silver solder the pan onto the side plate

cheers mooncoon
 
Putting together a lock to fit the inlet is one thing. Obtaining a correctly styled replacement lock is going to be a real challenge.
I assume that you have done everything you can to try to track down the original lock?
 
Were the pistol came form, the house was clean up and a lot of parts were threw out, this happed about 8 years ago. I am just starting to see if I could find a lock of the right style then make it fit the pistol. It has a couple interesting things as it is a smooth bore with excellent bore about 24 bore or 57 cal and is also set up to take a butt stock. It would have been nice to get it before these got lost. Then again I could not have been able to pay for it then.
John
 
I would suggest that this be a long term project. Don't be in a hurry to get the inlet filled.
I did have a look at Track's John Bailes pistol lock. It MIGHT be possible to use parts from this lock to made a replacement. Style isn't too bad. The lock would be made to fit the pistol, with NO alterations to the gun, only to the lock.
 
The L&R "Durs egg" lock just happened to fit perfectly in the inlet of a John Clark of London rifle I saw some years back.Have you tried tracing the lock inlet then trying to match it with the lock photos in the TOTW catalog?
 
I think a tasteful unadorned small queen anne lock with the gooseknecked #### and rounded profile would be rather striking on this arm.


Fortunate find

Well done!
 
I did not see any locks in track that were going to fit mostly because of the size 3 13/16 by 7/8 and getting the sear in the corrct spot. I have sent some notes to people that have some old locks around and they are looking. I was also going to try the rifle shop and see what they have. If not will go with filing and fitting a lock plate
 
Back
Top Bottom