How long can I keep it charged ?

Im using my caplock 54 with 777 and a maxi this coming deer season. How many days can I keep it charged (stored uncapped) and still count on reliable ignition ?

Just put something over the nipple to keep out moisture and as long as you don't have any oils/fluids to degrade the powder, it should make no performance difference over the course of a week or two.
 
I don't know about 777 but apparently civil war era muskets have been found loaded with black powder and shot just fine when capped and the trigger was pulled.

I would certainly suggest that you hang a tag or some other reminder on it that says it's already charged and set with a projectile so you aren't tempted to assume and end up double loading it.
 
I don't know about 777 but apparently civil war era muskets have been found loaded with black powder and shot just fine when capped and the trigger was pulled.

I would certainly suggest that you hang a tag or some other reminder on it that says it's already charged and set with a projectile so you aren't tempted to assume and end up double loading it.

Agreed, and yeah the real black powders keep forever if stored properly. The subs I hear are more finicky but if you keep the charge sealed up well and not contaminated, it should be fine for quite some time.

I just never use subs, the real stuff is the way to go in my opinion.
 
Folks find civil war cannon balls occasionaly at old battle field sights. They put em near the fireplace and they have detonated. Black powder is forever if it does not get wet. As others have said as long as yur chamber is dry and free of oil etc. no problemo. Back in the day folks on the frontier kept their weapons loaded at all times. They never new when they would need em. Now with trip 7, it is hygroscopic and could rust yur bore if not kept in a humid free storage locker. It is said that trip 7 can possibly loose its ability to ignite with age and exposure to moisture. I do not think I would leave my smoke pole loaded with trip 7.
 
Last edited:
Not sure about 777 - haven't tried it but Pyrodex RS and Goex Clear Shot were a fizzle for me after a couple of days. Might have been my fault for bringing the rifle into the relatively humid house. If left outside under cover it might work better.

On the oodmag site there was a discussion about muzzle loader storage rules and I believe that Federal Firearms Act storage laws state that you cannot leave your rifle loaded with powder/ball. As opposed to Provincial laws that say all you have to do is remove the cap/flint.
 
kept my Remington new army cylinder loaded up for 6months with goex ffg, stored in my semi damp basement. all six went off, except one which i had to change the cap on, then it went. only some cisco over the ball end.
 
Not sure about 777 - haven't tried it but Pyrodex RS and Goex Clear Shot were a fizzle for me after a couple of days. Might have been my fault for bringing the rifle into the relatively humid house. If left outside under cover it might work better.......

Either that or you may be leaving too much oil in the barrel? Or in storage even your light film runs down to form a thicker film in the breech area? It has to be either moisture or oil. If the shelf life of those powders was that bad we'd never get it home and shoot it all in time.
 
Back
Top Bottom