How sensitive are primers?

Vizier

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a little bit clumsy sometimes, I have dropped a fair amount of live cartridges and loaded magazines. I always shudder at the thought, for fear that the primer will off and God knows what will happen: shards of brass everywhere I guess. Is this a valid concern though? Have any of you ever had this happen?
 
They are not that sensitive. I have never had a loaded cartridge go off accidentally.

If a cartridge does go off uncontained, the brass just flies off with a boom, powered only by the primer. The powder doesn't contribute any power because it need high pressure to burn quickly. When under no pressure, powder burns quite slowly.

The primer compound needs to be crushed at a reasonable velocity (firing pin). While reloading, I occasionally have primers seated sideways and crushed into the primer pockets, and none have gone kaboom yet. :redface: (Not using Federal primers ;) )
 
Being a little bit clumsy sometimes, I have dropped a fair amount of live cartridges and loaded magazines. I always shudder at the thought, for fear that the primer will off and God knows what will happen: shards of brass everywhere I guess. Is this a valid concern though? Have any of you ever had this happen?

The brass won't break apart, neither will the metal on the hand priming tool. But any plastic will be blown into pieces sending fragments everywhere. Wear safety glasses when priming and always prime away from the face when using a hand primer.

Same considerations when priming on a press.

Dropping loaded magazines and live cartridges should not set off a primer. I drop loaded mags all the time and load rounds. Primers need to be seated slightly less than flush, if they protrude from the base of the bullet, then things can be dangerous.

FYI, bullets which go off outside of a firearm are not as lethal as you might think, they tested it on Mythbusters. The casing tends to blow away from the bullet just as much as the bullet blows away from the casing. I wouldn't test it out myself though. :)
 
I have totally mangled some on the Dillion press and haven't had one go off yet << e-knocking on wood >>
 
Anyone else remember the thread about the guy who almost crapped his pants, when the salesman dropped a sealed box of primers :eek:


:p

No, they aren't really that sensitive. Considering they are largely military technology, they do need to be able to take a good amount of rough handling. Common sense applies though, don't whack 22lr with a hammer, like my Dad did in cadets some 40 years ago.
 
FYI, bullets which go off outside of a firearm are not as lethal as you might think, they tested it on Mythbusters. The casing tends to blow away from the bullet just as much as the bullet blows away from the casing. I wouldn't test it out myself though. :)

I saw that episode. They did it in a stove. They had a 50 BMG and it only dented the thin sheet metal. The bullet didn’t do much, it was the lighter brass that was the projectile.
 
I've far too frequently put in primers upside down and had to press them out, or even put them in sideways and crushed them. No bang. I'm finding the 223 cases a pita to prime with my lee press for some reason. Never had such problems with 308 or 6.5x55 or handgun cartridges.
 
Primers require a direct smack to set them off.
"...powder burns quite slowly..." Not all of it. Bullseye, once it gets going, burns fast. Makes a nice 10 foot or so tower of fire too.
 
I've far too frequently put in primers upside down and had to press them out, or even put them in sideways and crushed them. No bang. I'm finding the 223 cases a pita to prime with my lee press for some reason. Never had such problems with 308 or 6.5x55 or handgun cartridges.

My RCBS hand primer does not do any better with small primers. I have done this lots loading for my Hornett as well.
 
years ago i was loading 45acp on a progressive. i had swaged the pockets because they were crimped. i must have missed one and the primer went off. scared the sh** out of me but no damage. being i was in a rythm pulling the handle i must have put a lot of force on it. it was a fed primer as thats all i was using for years.
 
I've dropped primers and loaded rounds with nothing going bang. Same with on the reloading press. Sideways, upside down, crimped pockets......I hear a nice crunch sound to let me know I f'ckd up but no bang to date (knocks on wood).
Sunray, if you're seeing the tower of fire, it's slow, relatively. I've pulled apart and lit off many a rounds to watch the fireball :rockOn:. Yeah, I was a junior pyro. I'm surprised I still have my eyebrows :eek:. Considering how fast it burns in the barrel under pressure, in the open air, while impressive, it's slow.

(E) :cool:
 
My RCBS hand primer does not do any better with small primers. I have done this lots loading for my Hornett as well.

The small primers seem to be able to roll on their side or flip as they pass through the shell base, even though they went in the right way. The slightest catching of the primer pusher on the shell base as it enters and the primer rolls on me.
 
The small primers seem to be able to roll on their side or flip as they pass through the shell base, even though they went in the right way. The slightest catching of the primer pusher on the shell base as it enters and the primer rolls on me.

In the hand primer it rolles in the tube sometimes too. I now bring the primer to the shell holder to make sure then i put the shell in and seat it.
 
Back
Top Bottom