How slow is too slow?

braun

Regular
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
Ontario
I'll be reloading for a .455 Webley WG using full length .45 Schofield cartridges. The original velocity for the Webley MKI is somewhere around 620 fps (if I remember correctly), but due to the age of the revolver I'll be starting off with reduced loads and velocity. But I don't want the bullet to get lodged in the bore!

I can't find the data out there for Webley MkI, should I start with the minimum starting loads for .45 Schofield?

I've never fired a gun and had the bullet stick in the bore, so I don't know what it feels/sounds like. Will I know it when/if it happens or should I be checking the bore for obstructions after every shot?
 
I wouldn't worry about it. If does get stuck just tap it out with a hammer and a wooden dowling. If in doubt always check your bore.
 
I don't know how slow too slow is, and I have been loading for the .41 Colt, but I had some of my bullets going under 400FPS with no issues when I started off.
 
A squib load (primer only) will push a bullet halfway down a 5" barrel. Any amount of powder on top of that will make it go all the way. I think it would be very difficult to intentionally make a bullet lodge in the barrel when you have powder in the mix. It might only pop out like a champagne cork, but it would still come out.
 
I've had 3 experiences with powderless loads. I found a Winchester Large Pistol primer for standard or magnum loads with shove a Keith bullet clear or the forcing cone in a .44 Mag. A Winchester small pistol in a .38 Special will not clear the forcing cone when fired in a .357 chamber and ties up the cylinder. A 9mm with Remington small pistol won't let the bullet get far enough down the bore to chamber another round. The first one was my fault with paranoid overzealous quality control when starting down the path of progressive reloading with a new Dillon 550B. The last two were due to the fact I was running Red Dot in the Dillon 550B powder measures. Dillon Precision won't recognize that glitch, but I've spoken to other Dillon users with similar stories. That said, I love my Dillon, but back to the matter at hand. In the first 2 incidents involving revolvers, I knew there was a problem immediatly. Both in sound and felt recoil, or lack thereof. The 9mm CZ-75 cycled, and felt OK, but left me wondering about the jam. Good thing the bullet didn't get any further.

I'd say, if you are concerned about light loads, load 2 or 3, go to the range, and take a chunk of wood dowel and a hammer. And pay attention to everything that is happening.
 
Lol - someone should try to get it down to 100fps to keep keep the bunnies out of the garden :p

Would probably get some weird looks when you went out gardening wearing a heavy belt and holster!
 
When I was developing a low pressure smokeless for an original 45 Schofield, I started with IMR 3031. My first shot across the chrony was really slow. I can't remember the exact velocity, but if I recall it was around 300 fps. It made a dent in the wood stump about 1/4" deep. Basically, if you got any powder in there at all, I'm fairly confident it will exit the barrel.
 
I worked up some loads for a 38 S&W out of a Enfield tanker pistol. I started low and some were around 390-400 fps over the chrony. They all made it out of the barrel. I worked up to a 124 grain bullet going around 560 fps. About 90 foot pounds of energy I might add.:D
 
Back
Top Bottom