How to get an antique status letter?

762mm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering... how does one go about getting an antique letter for an antique firearm nowadays? Is there a specific number/extension to be called? Can it be done online?

I would appreciate any help, as I would like to get one for my guns... I just don't trust the CFO employees out here in Quebekistan to be knowledgeable enough about what an antique is and therefore I may run into problems if they ever visit the range while I'm there with it.

P.S. I know there is a sticky on the top of the page with an e-mail address to write to, but I'm also aware that there's been some changes to this procedure, where some have mentioned an automated procedure requiring their POL/PAL number over the internet. Thanks in advance.

:)
 
Ok, I sort of answered one of my own questions, but I still don't know if an online request is also possible. I followed this post from the sticky:

Phone 1-800-731-4000
Press 1 for english
press 1 for the extension,

Extension is 1090

All you need is tha make, model, serial number and caliber. Ive called them for probably 50 guns over the past years and they've never asked for a picture.

...oh and definitely call them...they are really, really backed up. Also, they only do up the letters on Fridays...

Good luck.

I called exactly what's described above & I spoke to a very nice gentleman right away to request the antique letter. The conversation took literally less than 2 minutes (for two different guns) and I was told that he'd get right on it & mail the letter as soon as tomorrow. I gave him my e-mail address also, but he didn't even ask for it at first.

Now, about the license number... he asked whether or not I had one, so I replied that I did. He then asked IF he could have the number, which is an indicator that you DON'T have to supply it if you don't want to. I gave it nevertheless, because it may speed things up and I'm not very concerned about this at all. It seemed to me like he needed the number in order to get my mailing address faster, that's all. No pictures or lengthy descriptions of my antiques were needed either and he didn't even want to know whether or not I had the guns already in my possession or if I was in the process of buying them from someone. In short, there's absolutely no reason to panic over the license number requests.

While I was at it, I also requested a letter for my Lyman Deerstalker flinter (which is the second gun I mentioned)... Why not?

:D
 
Last edited:
^ Yeah... I was thinking about it too. I don't really need it, but then again... what if you end up in an argument with some greenhorn and/or power tripping provincial CFO authority figure who will be asking why your piece isn't registered, why it isn't trigger locked & in a small vault during transport, etc?

I don't know about BC, but here in Quebec there aren't too many people who are aware of the antique stat regulations and that includes people working at the clubs (I've asked... some have "heard" of something like that, but don't ask any further questions). The way I see it is that a letter is just a powerful tool to provide peace of mind. Whenever a CFO representative/cop/range officer or whoever wants to know the status of your gun or starts giving you static over some 'restricted firearm' BS regulations, the letter will take care of all questions. It's like having a personal lawyer right there with you... without the cost! :D

Besides, I could sell or give away my antiques (all of them) tonight without taking any names. There isn't any secret conspiracy to get our antiques, simply because this isn't the proper way to do it if it were. Basically, the law would have to change first... and as long as it doesn't, you're absolutely safe.

All in all, I think that this whole letter service they offer is a great idea. It just prevents so many government officials' screw-ups in the long run and prevents unnecessary harassment of law obedient antique owners. As long as the CFC doesn't ask too many personal questions in regards to issuing the letters, I'm all for it.

;)
 
As long as the CFC doesn't ask too many personal questions in regards to issuing the letters, I'm all for it.
;)

Asking for your (and mine at the time) licence numbers is too many personal questions IMO. I think one of the first questions I was asked I was, "You do have a firearms licence, correct?". No more letters for me, I'd rather them have no idea then know at one time I had certain antiques.
 
Asking for your (and mine at the time) licence numbers is too many personal questions IMO. I think one of the first questions I was asked I was, "You do have a firearms licence, correct?". No more letters for me, I'd rather them have no idea then know at one time I had certain antiques.

Well, maybe you had the misfortune of talking to some guy who just found out that his wife was doing the neighbor or something. The guy I talked to seemed overly pleasant to talk to and the question about the RPAL sounded more like "Okay sir, now do you or do you not have a firearms license?".. I replied that I do and he then asked whether or not he could have the number. That's all, no further questions.

Also... very important: the question about whether or not I had a license only came AFTER he asked all the info pertaining to the firearms I wanted the letter for, not the other way around AND he did not ask if I already had them. So, it is my understanding that they don't really give a crap whether you have a license or the antique guns or not. Someone at the RCMP probably had an idea that, for the most part, antique collectors also have licenses to buy the regular class of firearms (which is largely true). Therefore, asking for the number would just speed the process up and would prevent any mistakes in the shipping addresses, etc.

As I said... I'm not worried. If you don't want them, then it's your personal choice and I understand/respect it all the same. IMHO, there's no reason to panic YET. Maybe a case of "Defcon 1" will indeed come one day, but it's not the case for now.

:canadaFlag:
 
^ Yeah... I was thinking about it too. I don't really need it, but then again... what if you end up in an argument with some greenhorn and/or power tripping provincial CFO authority figure who will be asking why your piece isn't registered, why it isn't trigger locked & in a small vault during transport, etc?
;)

I know of a fellow at my range that went through exactly this sort of thing while shooting his flintlock on crown land. Someone in the area reported the gunshots and the responding officers gave him a really hard time while refusing to listen to a word anyone said.

Took a couple of phone calls with superiors to clue everyone in and there was no issue in the end but that was after a trying afternoon of dealing with LEO's that were going to enforce the rules they invented no matter what the laws actually are.

The antique letters could be a real asset in such a situation if anyone will stop and look at them. I'm not going to quibble about giving them my license number either seeing as I'm going to be de-registering something or at least giving them my address to mail the letter to. If they ever asked later "I sold them to some (18+ year old) guy years ago...."
 
...
The antique letters could be a real asset in such a situation if anyone will stop and look at them. I'm not going to quibble about giving them my license number either seeing as I'm going to be de-registering something or at least giving them my address to mail the letter to. If they ever asked later "I sold them to some (18+ year old) guy years ago...."

Exactly... this is how I see it as well. If you read the antique rules, technically they can't even break your chops about the age of the person you've sold them to. It is right on the RCMP's website: "no restrictions as to the sale or transfer of antique firearms". Period. (this was actually the object of a lengthy discussion in the antique section not long ago)

Also, remember that you cannot be prosecuted under a new law for an offense that took place while another law was in force (ie. if the current Firearms Act were to be amended into something even more sinister). So, let's say that in 5 years, Lieberal scumbags are back in power and they amend C-68 to something even more barbaric and repressive... they won't be able to go after you for something you've done BEFORE the amendments took place, like selling or giving away your "unregistered" antiques. To really throw a monkey wrench into the equation, you could always tell them you've sold them to someone in the US of A - the land of the (still) free.

So, for now, relax and have a beer... and wait for that antique letter to show up in the mail box. No need to raise hell just yet. ;)
 
Ya im not Worried about it either
I talked to My Favorite Tec at CFC and was told they attached info such as a Firearms Licence or Name and Address to CFC Antique letters since 2006.

So Every letter Requested since 2006 has that Persons info attached to the letters copy at CFC.
If no Licence then a name and mailing address at least.

They Did that so they could find the letters easyer if required to do so.
This new System is just a better fileing system so i was told.

And the Reason we got Antique Letters in the Frist place was for bush carry in case we run into a CFO or CO thats not up on theses laws.

Not Because i have to but to Avoid a nightmare or at least be prepared for one LOL

I carry a set of the Regs stateing the Rules about Antique firearms as well as my guns own RCMP Letter.
 
I carry a set of the Regs stateing the Rules about Antique firearms as well as my guns own RCMP Letter.

+1 If we do what Dingus mentioned, and also exercise discretion as to where we shoot and carry these old antiques, 99% of problems will be avoided.
 
+1 here as well.
I built a belt pouch that carries all the pertinent regs as well as antique status verification for the iron being carried,be it an RCMP letter or a letter of compliance with Canadian law from an antique dealer in the States.
I only get RCMP letters when I don't have any other verification of status. ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom