How to remove

OctaRon1

Regular
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Just picked up an 1893 Marlin DOM is early 1900 not sure exactly.
I new from pics. it needed work, but can you believe the whole thing has been varnished from one end to the other.
I guess it was maybe handed down to someone who didn't know what they had and wanted a nice shiny wallhanger.
My question is what would be the best way to remove it from the metal, if there is any original finish under the varnish I don't want to ruin it if I can help it. Your thoughts and or suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks Ron
 
They do sell not too harsh paint remover that's what i would use better do it 3 or 4 times than having to redo the finish on the metal
Someone with a bit of saavy in the paint dept. could suggest the right one
 
What I do to remove old crusty contact cement and stuff but preserve the paint underneath is to use a very powerful agent like gasket remover (remember anti contact gloves and for gods sake use at least a half mask with organic filters and safety glasses even if using the stuff outside) and spray it on some cardboard or in a container it won't eat and then paint it on with an acid brush and let it sit for a short length of time, thirty seconds for contact cements is good. Of course the amount of time you let it sit will vary according to the material you want remove, trial and error is your friend, err on the side of caution though. Then I wipe it clean some paper towel, this part may require some rubbing as it turns the various adhesives into a gummy type of substance, and immediately clean the area that was just stripped with lots of soapy water on a rag. Good luck. It always works for my aircraft parts and saves me a lot of time. And I've never had paint destroyed by just staying on top of it and not allowing the chemical process to progress to the point that it eats the paint.
 
Back
Top Bottom