Hundred year old elk hunt photo

Best post I have read in a long time. Very nice story. Love photos of those old Winchesters in action back in the day and putting food on the table.
Matt
 
When I looked at the first picture, I started thinking of a similar one I have of some of my family members hunting. As I saw the rifle, I started to wonder what they were using in the photographs. As I read your commentary, my jaw dropped!

Jim, or James, Proven was my great-great grandfather and Herb is my great-uncle (Ruth is my grandma, Bonnie is my mom)! Small world! It may be the very same rifle in the picture I have! I had no idea that Herb has the rifle but I'm glad to see it is still around! As for the Proven boys, it was the middle boy that was killed at Vimy, oldest was killed just over a month before the war ended. I've heard they were quite the shots! I'm actually working on a short biography on them so I will have to speak to Herb!

Thanks for posting!

Michael
 
Great story and pictures.
You should put it in the sticky, "Nostalgic Hunting Pictures," at the start of the Hunting section.
I'm gong to send you a PM on a related matter.
Bruce
 
Wow, Michael, small world indeed! I rent the farm from Herb. Our families have obviously been pretty close for generations. My great grandmother's family lived across the road from Jim's house. My great grandparents house burnt to the ground (in 1881, I think), and Jim took them in for the winter. He was a bachelor, they had four young kids. His house was 16X24! Close quarters! Our home quarter was homesteaded by Jim in 1878. He sold it to my grandparents in 1897, and kept the other two. We've been living here ever since. Good neighbour's for a long time. Your family has a long interesting history.
 
scan0001-1.jpg


I thought the picture was familiar! I've included another one that you may be interested in. Looks like it was a decent hunt! In the first picture, the guy on the left is George MacVicor, no names with others. The bottom picture is my great-grandfather Sid on the left, John Macey in the middle, and looks like your grandfather on the right! It's great to make all these connections. Thanks for the info, the history is something I'm very interested in!
 
Bullet is on its way in. You can reach your pinky in and touch the base. What.....you don't think a. 405 WCF in the head is a killing shot, Win 38-55??? Lol

I caped out a bull at a taxidermy shop one time that when I was doing around the horn base I discovered an entry hole (right at the skull ,same as yours, only from the back) with a .270 bullet buried in it. When I showed it to the hunter he thought he had cleanly missed the animal with his first shot. in his words"it showed no effect at all,just kept on running". The second shot broke the elk's back and stopped him instantly so there is no question that the head shot wasn't the stopping shot.
 
It is wonderful to have family photos like these to treasure. You guys are very fortunate.

When I was a kid we had dozens of such hunting photos from the very early 20th century of my great grandfather's hunt camps around Manitoba with his sons and their dogs. Mostly ducks, geese and sharptails, some deer, lots of oldtimers with slouch hats and double-barrel Parkers. (I still have grandpa's 12g Parker!).

All those photos were lost forever by Security Storage and Moving Company of Winnipeg when the family moved to Vancouver in the late 1950's.

Sometimes I can just about wake up screaming until this day and I am 70 years old. Thinking about it makes me sad and angry:(:mad:V:I:
 
Ya know, guys, there is a solution to sad stories of lost photos, like Lex tells. Internet storage sites like Photobucket, or the one we use, Smugmug, are a safe place copy old (or new) photos. The bonus is that any interested family can access them any time, and add to the collection. We have lots and lots on Smugmug.com, if you're interested, go there and search "littlemore".
 
Back
Top Bottom