This fall my son and I are BP hunting whitetail and mule deer, the hunt is primarily for him and he will be using a in line. I plan on carrying my 13ga sxs for close work and other utility as required.
My load routine has been 10gr each bore, cap and fire as a clearing/fouling charge. After this I load 80gr ffg, card, waxed felt, RB patched with bore butter on cotton.
I plan on loading once to carry for 4 days, my concern is corrosion from the fouling charge. Should I be ok with the wax and bore butter coating the barrel or should I run an oiled jag down the bore to protect it until shooting?
160 yr old shotgun, it does not need me to mess it up after this many years!
My load routine has been 10gr each bore, cap and fire as a clearing/fouling charge. After this I load 80gr ffg, card, waxed felt, RB patched with bore butter on cotton.
I plan on loading once to carry for 4 days, my concern is corrosion from the fouling charge. Should I be ok with the wax and bore butter coating the barrel or should I run an oiled jag down the bore to protect it until shooting?
160 yr old shotgun, it does not need me to mess it up after this many years!


















































