hunting front sights for Sharps - blade? bead? or...?

jjohnwm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
611   0   0
Location
Manitoba
I've been using a C.Sharps 1875 equipped with a Vernier tang sight and front globe sight for many years now, but never did much serious hunting with it. It was a great set-up for targets and gongs, but I didn't have a front sight insert that I enjoyed using for hunting. Always intended to do something about it...years passed...:)

A few weeks ago I bought a smaller, simpler tang sight off the EE (thanks, Chris!), and replaced the Vernier model with it. Sighting it in is a bit of a PITA compared to the screw-adjustable target sight, but now that it's dialed in I can see that it will be far superior for hunting; simpler, much more compact. It came with a fixed (i.e. non-interchangeable) post'n'bead globe front sight. I also have the original thin silver blade front sight that came with the bare rifle.

I'm curious to hear what the experienced BPCR shooters on here like to use for a hunting front sight. The silver blade catches light nicely, and is nice and thin. The globe front appears somewhat coarser, but stands out well in bright light against a well-illuminated target. I think I prefer the flat-top blade to the bead for most purposes, but...what's the consensus amongst the gurus?
 
Have a look at the Beech style combination front sight.

It's the best of both worlds imo giving you the choice between a blade and a globe style ring.

Here's an example

Code:
http://montanavintagearms.com/product/sights/mva/mva-combination-front-sight/
 
I prefer the bead to the flat top blade for this, just because I find it's easier to focus on. That's really going to be a personal choice. I find most of the blades are too wide or I have trouble placing them correctly in the aperture.
 
Have a look at the Beech style combination front sight.

It's the best of both worlds imo giving you the choice between a blade and a globe style ring.

Here's an example

Code:
http://montanavintagearms.com/product/sights/mva/mva-combination-front-sight/

I avoid the combination or flip-ups and such just because I always worry about having them knocked out of place or alignment. Unlikely, I know, and lots of guys like them. Looks like a nice compromise.
 
That Beech sight looks like just the ticket to me; best of both worlds. I have a sight like that on my BSA Martini .22 and it is terrific. I didn't know that anyone made an aftermarket version.

My first thought was that it would be the wrong dovetail size, since C.Sharps has an oddball larger one than most guns. Then I checked the description...they have about 7 different dovetail widths listed! I'm going to contact them and see if they sell to Canuckistan. Thanks!
 
There are other versions available from other vendors and (iirc) Red River Gun Sights(?) in Mb carries a Beech style combination sight.

There are Lyman copies around too.

A search for Beech and/or Lyman combination front sight should give you a good start.
 
Why do I have the impression that he already knew that ? :)

Maybe because the link I posted was to the MVA Beech site...

I don't think cdnrokon read the thread before posting. I've done the same myself.

So far he's suggested both of the places that I already had.

Obviously a very intelligent and well informed fella!

I like his style :)
 
Back
Top Bottom