Hunting ML twist quandry what do I need

david doyle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 97.7%
86   2   0
So I have come to the realization that I am in 'need' of a flintlock hunting rifle. The idea has just grown on me.
I am not interested in sabot type projectiles and am in a quandry as wether I should be looking for soemthing to shoot RB 1-60 or something to shoot conicals 1-30 I also notice some 1-48 barrels.

First question: Is 1-48 just a compromise that does'nt shoot either well?

second question: How much in the hunting field would a guy be giving up shooting RB versus conicals? Not just ballaistics but ease of loading I am thinking.

3rd Question: Will I be satisfied with a 54 cal or will I soon be wanting a larger cal. ( We shoot alot of moose, elk and deer)

4th Question: Barrel length aside from sight radius and good looks is there a mechanical reason to go with a traditionally longer length of barrel then say the deerstalker length?

If any one has any input I'd appreciate it, I'd like to buy once and have my experimenting/learning bring me to a point where I have a useable hunting arm instead of bringing me to the realization that I need another ;)
 
First you should decide whether you want to use round balls or conicals, then pick the appropriate twist.Conicals do have the edge but round balls in 54, 58, 60, 62 etc are no slouch by any means.I prefer
round balls for a projectile myself and use a Baker rifle replica in 62 cal as my main hunting muzzleloader.The barrel on my Baker is 31 inches which is nice and handy in the woods, a longer barrel isn t really a big handicap it just takes more getting use to.
 
The 1-in-48" twist is a compromise twist, but it can still deliver good accuracy from both round ball and conical, particularly if your conicals are a little on the light-for-calibre size. I definitely am a fan of good ol' round ball. For game up to elk, the .54 lacks nothing, unless shots are stretched too far. As you get into larger sizes, you start throwing more powder and recoil at the problem while losing velocity, making distance shooting more difficult. If a .54 RB is placed in the boiler-room of an elk or moose, start deciding how much is going to be roasts, and how much will be sausage! RB is also easier a much better performer as a brush-buster, as a hit on a twig or such that would de-stabilize a conical just bumps a RB. I say go for .54 with a 1-in-66" twist, and start shooting lots. RB's are cheaper and easier to cast than conicals, too, which means you will likely shoot/practice more, which is a good thing. They also kick less than the heavier conicals, and start out faster. Boy, that was a lot for two cents!
 
I have used a .50 with with a 1 in 48" twist and round balls to take many whitetails over the years. Now I have a .54 with the same twist and again use round balls. They are accurate and deadly.
 
Gab and Snowshoe have given you the straight goods,I would also endorse a .54 with a 1 in 66" twist, but remember, over 80% of ALL antique rifles, Hawkens included, were rifled 1 in 48" !Also, nearly half of all the Canadian -made rifles I have researched were under .40cal! And these were deer and black bear guns.
 
If you are looking for suggestions for a gun I'd say a flintlock Lyman Great Plains Rifle in54 cal.would fit the bill.
 
I have shot deer out to 100 yds with 45, 50 and 54 cal RB's and and in every case the ball has passed completely through the chest/neck area. Given that you are after big, tough critters, I'd definitely recommend the 54 cal (RB is about 235 grains) or even a 58. The only comment I've heard about 1 - 48 twists for RB's is that they are a bit more critical of the exact powder charge for best accuracy than are slower twists. Can't comment on same for conicals except that in theory, the faster you can spin them, the more stable they usually are and therefore more accurate so you go for more muzzle velocity and that means more recoil. In terms of barrel length, for a given powder charge, the longer barrel will yield slightly higher velocity. Suggest you look for a half-stock plains rifle with 32" - 36" barrel or a longrifle with 40 - 42" barrel. In the latter case, try to find one with a "swamped" barrel contour for better overall balance. There is quite a difference between a fast flintlock ignition and not-so-fast so if you can try a few different ones before you buy, do so and form your own opinion: also ask experienced flinters their opinion on various products so you get it right the first time.
Good luck
 
I had a T/C hawken came with 2 barrels, 1/66 and 1/48. For comparisons, I bench shot a 100yd target with each barrel.Both groups were the same :confused: IIRC about 6". Not very conclusive, but satisfied my curiousity.
Took me a long time but I eventually found a L/H flinter with an Ed Rayl barrel. It has wide land, deep groove, round button rifling. The best group I shot was , 3 shots at 200yds, 2 3/4" group , fog rolled in and couldn't shoot anymore.
IMHO for the best accuracy, go with Getz, Rice , Goodioen, Ed Rayl, Oregon barrelworks (formerly Sharon barrel now owned by thegunworks.com)
Try logging on to thegunworks.com, go to used custom guns, they have a few L/Hand 54's around the $800 range.
Cheers nessy.
 
Back
Top Bottom