Hunting with the Hawken

fester

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I am intending to get an animal this year with the 50 TC Hawken. I have some questions.
1. If I load it today can I leave it loaded at home for the week and go hunting next week again?
2. If I go to the fall hunting camp and leave it loaded going in and out of the trailer everyday will it be ok as well? Or the cold and warm will create moisture in the barrell?

Its a percussion Hawken.

Thanks
 
Never hurt mine ,a Renegade .54 with Green mt 1-70" ball barrel and the mulie buck it relaxed likely wished it misfired.I leave it loaded for a week or so when hunting season is in full swing.Minus the #11 magnum cap that is........................I shoot real BP FFG.........................are you using ball or conicles? My son's Hawken .50 loves both Maxi-ball 370gr and the .490" ball so pick your poison.................Harold .... This fall a cow moose
 
Never hurt mine ,a Renegade .54 with Green mt 1-70" ball barrel and the mulie buck it relaxed likely wished it misfired.I leave it loaded for a week or so when hunting season is in full swing.Minus the #11 magnum cap that is........................I shoot real BP FFG.........................are you using ball or conicles? My son's Hawken .50 loves both Maxi-ball 370gr and the .490" ball so pick your poison.................Harold .... This fall a cow moose

Like mbogo, I leave mine loaded through the week, minus he cap. I let it warm up slowly so that condensation doesn't become an issue. To do that, I leav it in the case when I bring it in, and put it in a cool place. I always take it out of the case after it has warmed up.
 
Leaving it loaded is no problem (check Prov. reg's).

But, I always say better safe than sorry...once my muzzleloader is cold---it stays cold, NO condensation. ;)

As an extra caution, I tape the muzzle....and when I used my perc., I had a piece of rubber that I would let the hammer down on to seal the nipple. :)
 
Thanks for the advice. I figured it was ok. I also tape the barrel.
I am hunting with conicals it likes 385 and 410 grains with 90 grains FFG. It also really likes a round ball with 80 grains ffg.
 
A valve cap from a car tire fits over the nipple perfectly to keep moisture out........Harold
 
Last edited:
In BC and perhaps other provinces, it is illegal to leave the gun loaded in your house. It can be loaded but no primer or variations of that, while in your vehicle and on gravel roads between hunting sites but it is supposed to be unloaded once you get back to pavement. If you are remaining in the bush overnight, I would take the cap off and put a piece of leather over the flash hole. I would also be inclined to fire the gun and reload every few days. I have had significant hangfires from leaving the gun loaded for several days while camping.

cheers mooncoon
 
I leave my muzzle-loaders with a load in them for the week of hunting. Once you seat the bullet on a charge of BP there is no room for air so condensation is impossible. I also cover the nipple when the cap is off. I have never had a hang fire or misfire. A good friend brought out his custom flinter to let me fire it a year and a half after his last deer hunting season. We checked and he had left it loaded with no powder in the pan. I added powder to the pan and put one in the black at fifty yards. Good luck, Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom