Husky rolling blocks...

ratherbefishin

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I bought a couple of Husky rolling blocks ( 8x 58) from Tradeex,dies and 8x56 Hungarian brass,but never actualy got around to shooting it...One needs a firing pin,which I am told can be made from drill stock.It lacks the firing pin indicator too,not sure how important that is,or if it can be fired without it.
Since these are old rifles,I figured using BP or Pyrodex rather than smokeless would be safer. I am looking at a rechambered 50/70 RB too...any advice or experiance would be appreciated..
 
The firing pin is a fairly big lump with a pin on the end of it. A new one can indeed be done out of drill rod on a lathe. But then it needs to be hardened and tempered after it's machined. The drill rod is sold as annealed stock so it can be machined.

If you stick to lower pressure loads that produce a lower muzzle velocity you'd be OK. But if you opt for using black or Pyrodex RS you would be able to push the bullets a bit faster due to the pressure curve you get from using those powders. Depends on what you want to get out of the experience.
 
I bought these rifles mainly for 'fun' shooters ,but haven't actually shot them yet .Got to fire form the brass. .According to Tradeex,the barrels are in 'excellent' condition( Anthony tends to understate than overstate ,good guy)
 
Back
Top Bottom