I caught the cap and ball bug

This thread has rekindled my thoughts. I’ve had an interest in these for a long time but something always got in the way and was a higher priority. Just looked at the Wolverine site and they have 2 Pietta 1851 Navy 36 cal that caught my eye. Got to decide between the all blued one or the one with brass trim. I will have to see if some of the originals had brass trim. Not a fan of nickel or brass guns so will probably get the blued one.

I’ll go with 36 rather than 44 for less recoil as I had Lyme disease a few years ago and still have some lingering muscle aches in the wrists and forearms.
 
I have a Colt 1851 Navy built in 1854 and it has the brass trigger guard and brass back strap, which is why I picked up the same style Pietta in .36 from Wolverine.

I'd like to post pictures but since Photobucket changed I haven't posted any. If someone's able to post them I'd be happy to email them.
 
I have a Colt 1851 Navy built in 1854 and it has the brass trigger guard and brass back strap, which is why I picked up the same style Pietta in .36 from Wolverine.

I'd like to post pictures but since Photobucket changed I haven't posted any. If someone's able to post them I'd be happy to email them.

PM on the way.
 
Klondiker, that 51 sure is in nice condition for that age.

I shoot Frontiersman category in cowboy action about 6 times a year at the big matches and at a few monthly fun matches. I switch hit back and forth between a pair of Uberti Remington NMA 58's and a pair of older Uberti and Navy Arms (still Uberti as I understand it) Colt 1860's. And once I do a touch more work to fix an issue with the nipples I'll be adding an older Navy Arms clone 51. All in .44.

Because I'm limited for time I've settled on powder, ball and a two drops worth of Canola oil onto the joint between ball and chamber wall along with a drop on the cylinder axle or arbor, depending on which set I'm using, to free up the fouling of the cylinder. I've never tried the bore butter but I know that while inky/greasy at the end of the day due to the oil and fouling the cylinders keep spinning very freely. And the fouling in the barrel is oily and wipes out easily. I seem to run into less trouble keeping the cylinder moving than those I see using bore butter. But I know a lot swear by it so YMMV. I just find it easier and less messy to use the Canola oil. As a bullet lube it works well. If I do have any lead flakes in the fouling and oil in the bore it washes out easily just with the bristle brush and there's seldom any specs of lead on any of the patches. I tend to not use bronze brushes unless I need it. I don't recall the last time in any of the four that I actually needed the bronze brush to remove any lead. I probably have but it's rare.

Accuracy does not suffer from this "shortcut" method either. When I do any target practice I find I can get groupings as good as I get with modern guns. So good enough that it's me which is the limit. I won't win any bullseye competitions any time soon but I normally do fairly decently. Like on a good day I'll get 3" groups at 20 yards out. Bad day maybe more like 4".
 
Not sure if this is appropriate but there seems to be a lot of cap and ball aficionados on this thread so I thought I would share this - I have for sale a Cross Draw Flap Holster - Leather - Large holster will accommodate barrel length up to 7.5", Sewn on belt loop will fit up to 2.5" belt. Features a full flap and sewn bottom. Made to be worn on the right side with the butt of the pistol pointing forward. $55.00 shipped anywhere in Canada.
101a_small.jpg101b_small.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 101a_small.jpg
    101a_small.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 101b_small.jpg
    101b_small.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 41
Using lubed wads (ox yoke wonder wads) gets two birds stone at once. They help keep the bore lubed as well as give a better seal to prevent chain fires.
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in
 
I managed to sort out being able to attach pictures so here’s a couple more for those interested.

5142861C-AC9E-4436-9E31-BA58633465F4.jpeg

The naval scene is impressive. I’m always amazed at the quality of workmanship from so many years ago.

E11ED0D2-AC51-4CC2-9C28-866F51FDB6C9.jpeg

And one of my 1849 Pocket model in .31 cal made in 1860. It shoots well, I was pleasantly surprised.

3E1E7056-BD83-457E-B643-F19D73E30D2B.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 5142861C-AC9E-4436-9E31-BA58633465F4.jpeg
    5142861C-AC9E-4436-9E31-BA58633465F4.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 53
  • E11ED0D2-AC51-4CC2-9C28-866F51FDB6C9.jpeg
    E11ED0D2-AC51-4CC2-9C28-866F51FDB6C9.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 3E1E7056-BD83-457E-B643-F19D73E30D2B.jpeg
    3E1E7056-BD83-457E-B643-F19D73E30D2B.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom