i need help again guys

kwonnypooh

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Location
Calgary
I just got an antique colt 1893 army. it is what i call " it has seen better days shape"
so i was thinking i always want a snabby so i got a new barrel and upgrade cylinder from colt parts. i ship this old girl to ellwood epps. by the way, i have to say top quality service. on the ball all the time.
they told me that i could not chop down the barrel because it will not be antique anymore since it has 5 inches barrel. i have a lot respect toward ellwood but just covering my end and hope that someday i could have a snabby, it is true?


thanks you
 
I *believe* that being an antique it is not subject to restrictions, therefore the barrel can be cut down.

Did you mean Snubby, as in snub nosed pistol?

Personally I would leave it... cut down guns are worth less. Might as well sell yours and buy one already done - you'll actually make a bit on yours rather than spending money to have it shortened then have it worth even less than before.
 
He is working with a replacement barrel so cutting it wont have any impact on the value.

I think you can lop it off to what ever length you want.
 
Ah missed that. The issue may be the barrel when it's not attached to the gun?

IE a barrel alone is a prohib device, but on an antique it becomes part of a "Non-gun"?

Just thinking out loud. Maybe Elwood just doesn't know antique law and doesn't want to touch it with a 10ft pole?
 
With a NEW barrel I don't know and have wondered myself. I have antique guns with 2-1/4" barrels but they are original. I believe a NEW barrel chopped down IS a prohibited device, but once it's on an antique does it become part of a "non gun" like Wally says?

I know the barrel length and .25/.32 cal BS gets overridden by antque status but I'm not 100% clear when new parts are involved.
 
The short barrel/phohibited device thing is only when the barrel is not on the gun since prohib firearms are not a prohib device at the same time. In the criminal code where they say that a barrel less than 105mm is a prohibited device it does not mention an exception for an 'antique barrel', so until it is installed on the gun it is a grey zone.
 
Yers... I think you might have better luck legally if it's already on the gun when cut.

As for calling the CFC - make sure you talk to at least two verifiers or RCMP techs - the usual managers and staff DO NOT know the law and if pressed make it up on the spot. I've tried them twice and both times they made it up on the spot (mag limits with rimfire and manufactured barrel length for shotgun barrels)
 
Making a " Saturday Night Special " out of an antique might raise some eyebrows and lead to more prohibitions.
The prohibition against short barrels was for the simple reason that a short barrel is easier to conceal than a long one and criminals preferred concealment.
I was interested in getting a reproduction of an 1849 Pocket Colt with a 4 inch barrel....Prohibited in Canada. If I could afford an original antique of the same thing I don't even need a Licence and I don't have to register it.
There may not be a specific law against what you are doing but there probably will be. If I were you I would leave the old gun as it is.
 
It's alright to do it, However I would expect you'd have to send the antique firearm along as well. Here is the letter I recieved from the CFC.

letterbarrellength-1.jpg
 
well, thank you tactical 870 ! here is one more, could anyone know any gunsmith that can fabricate colt cobra barrel form 41 cal barrel blank ?
 
Back
Top Bottom