Identification? (with pics)

IMagius

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
Northern GTA
Long story short ... out cruising yard sales, start chatting with a guy after he notices my Colt C8 ballcap ... blah blah blah ... "I've got some ammo for your collection" he says.

Awesome! is my first thought. After seeing them though, I'm not sure it's legal or safe.

Pics first, then I'll give you the details.

Furthest to the right in both pics is a standard 38 Special +P for reference.
DSC02281Medium.jpg


DSC02282Medium.jpg


(I tried a dozen different shots, but my camera just would not get me a clear shot of the bases :( )

Overall Length (no micrometer handy, just a ruler, so no diameters)
Paper Jacket - 2 3/8"
Black Tip - 3 5/16"
Red Tip - 3 1/8"
Yellow Tip - 3 1/16"
Green Tip - 2 3/16"
38 Special - 1 7/16"

Base Markings (left to right)
(paper jacket)None
(black tip)NWM .30 57
(red tip) F N 56
(yellow tip) Am 4 1 26 (Am at top, 4 on left, 1 on right, 26 at bottom, all seperated by an "X" that covers the entire base)
(green tip)P T 7 9
Winchester 38 SPL+P

Steel baseplate, brass primer pocket and double ring brass "shoulder" going to hard paper shell. 1/2" diameter Lead slug

All Rifle rounds appear to have Balsa Wood (or maybe Pine??) projectiles, are primed and have "powder" in them (judging by sound they make when shaken gently).

The "Black Tip" round appears and feels like it is an aluminum case.

So, before I bring them home ... my first thought/question is "Would a Wood round be against some sort of Geneva Convention, thereby making it illegal to possess?" (They don't meet any of the Prohibited Criteria in the RCMP reg's for Ammunition so far as I can tell)

Also, What would be the purpose of such rounds? I can't imagine the ballistics are very good ???

Is the Papercase round a Rifle round or an old 16 or 20 Gauge Shotgun slug?
If it's a Rifle round, is it old enough to be a Black Powder round that shouldn't be handled? (I've been told that the old plack powder rounds can "self ignite" ... old wives tale?)

All said and done, these are nifty looking rounds, and I'd love to add them to my collection ... but not if they could get me into hot water ... if they aren't legal for whatever reason, they'll be turned in for destruction.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
 
577 Snider
30-06
7.92MM aka. 8mm Mauser
6.5X55
7.62 X 39
38 Spl. +P load
Blank load on most of them if they are a wood projectile, sometime they cane be pressed paper as well.
 
The wooden bullet is there to insure proper feeding of the round. There was sometimes a special adapter screwed at the end of the muzzle that would shread the bullet...
 
Back
Top Bottom