Identify for me

netcom

New member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was recently given a musket by my dad to do with as I please. It has the name "Mills" written on the side of stock on a plate with ornate scrollwork that matches the hammer.

Anyone know what it is ?
 
I know that gun!!!
It was owned by General William Mills a famous Civil War general who commanded the Cheerios brigade along with Cap'n. George E. Crunch...a former naval officer. Upon discharge he took up the cause of women suffrage though became disenchanted when his wife burned the rice stuffing to a krisp. Some thought he was a bit of a Froot Loop which was not true. Most believe his penchant for wine caused his Grape Nuts. He tried numerous careers...raising chicken but no Eggos!! Tried farming though an early frost killed the crop and he ended up with Mini-Wheats and frosted flakes in the field.
In the end he became infamous as a multiple murderer, probably using the gun the OP described...yes...he was a cereal killer!!!!
 
It is not nice to flame newbies.
netcom.... you will have to post pictures of your gun with close ups of all markings to make a positive identification
Did I miss anything?.
 
Alonzo thanks for this mornnigs first belly laugh,hahahaha! Its like saying, I have a truck, its says Daisy on the side, can anyone help? You must give more details, type of firearm, action type, gauge or calibre,barrel length, stock type, sights,Maker/manufaturer etc,etc. Don'y worry Alonzo was just in a humourous mood, we are all here to help, please post some pictures or describe in detail, cheers Dale Z!
 
I was recently given a musket by my dad to do with as I please. It has the name "Mills" written on the side of stock on a plate with ornate scrollwork that matches the hammer.

Anyone know what it is ?
Some more details would be a good idea. A few good pictures would be even better friend.
Your question is too vague and lacking in considerable information.
Such as smoothbore or rifled? Wood furniture to the muzzle or not? Estimated calibre size, brass fittings, sights, barrel length, etc. Is there anything else engraved on it other than Mills?
 
I was recently given a musket by my dad to do with as I please. It has the name "Mills" written on the side of stock on a plate with ornate scrollwork that matches the hammer.

Anyone know what it is ?
Netcom asked a serious question. First, welcome Netcom. The fellows here like to joke around a bit, but don't take it personally. Wish I could help you but I know sweet tweet about muskets. One thing that would help, however, is to post some photos. There are fellows on this forum that know a lot about this sort of thing and can help you. They just need a bit more info and photos.
 
That was epic...:cool:

I know that gun!!!
It was owned by General William Mills a famous Civil War general who commanded the Cheerios brigade along with Cap'n. George E. Crunch...a former naval officer. Upon discharge he took up the cause of women suffrage though became disenchanted when his wife burned the rice stuffing to a krisp. Some thought he was a bit of a Froot Loop which was not true. Most believe his penchant for wine caused his Grape Nuts. He tried numerous careers...raising chicken but no Eggos!! Tried farming though an early frost killed the crop and he ended up with Mini-Wheats and frosted flakes in the field.
In the end he became infamous as a multiple murderer, probably using the gun the OP described...yes...he was a cereal killer!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom