Identify My Martini please!

Loki610

Regular
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Location
Nobleford
Looking for any info anyone might have on this gun, Was bought used by my grandfather in the 1930's and used as a saddle gun for years. Also does anyone know how to fix a cracked stock?
P7010066.jpg

P7010070.jpg

P7010071.jpg

P7010074.jpg

P7010075.jpg

P7010076.jpg

P7010077.jpg

P7010078.jpg

P7010081.jpg

P7010082.jpg

P7010083.jpg

Does this sight look short to you?
P7010084.jpg

P7010085.jpg

P7010086.jpg

P7010088.jpg

P7010089.jpg

P7010090.jpg

P7010091.jpg

P7010092.jpg


Unseen is a stamping of W.M. on the inside of the lever
 
Looks like a commercial .303" Martini Enfield Artillery Carbine which has had the bayonet lug removed.
 
Definitely a gun converted for the civilian market. As far as I can remember, the BP/BV proofs are British government approval markings and the "Nitro Prooved" one indicates that it was tested and approved for smokeless powder loads (in .303, of course).

Other than that.... who knows. It looks like the receiver was not meant for the army right from the start though, as it lacks the proper markings on the right side. So, the gun was probably assembled using a newly made receiver and .303 barrel + some NOS or used military parts. If you Google "Martini-Henry", you'll get a ton of info on the different variants (commercial and military).

Unfortunately, the gun's value is probably at around $300 tops, as it has little collector value. Even full military M-H in .577-450 in a good original & shootable condition rarely fetch above $700 these days, so it kind of puts things into perspective. Personally, I'd just keep it and shoot some .303 with it every once in a while.
 
A great old Martini and not one of the Nepal Cache junkers so you are lucky. It looks very shootable and will handle any .303 ammo that you choose to use in it. Enjoy it. Having your own family history makes it special.
 
A great old Martini and not one of the Nepal Cache junkers so you are lucky. It looks very shootable and will handle any .303 ammo that you choose to use in it. Enjoy it. Having your own family history makes it special.

Unfortunately it shoots extremely high at anything less than 200 yards which makes it hard to use. Last time I fired a few shots the stock cracked on both sides so for the moment its a wall hanger until I can figure out how to fix the stock!
 
Military Martini-Henry carbine converted to Martini-Enfield, then Sold Out of Service.

BP = Birmingham Proof

BV = Birmingham Viewed

BR in SCRIPT = Birmingham Repair, which was the old RSAF SPARKBROOK plant when it wasn't making rifles.

Receiver has been scrubbed of military markings. Likely this was done to fit it for the commercial market.

Very Nice Toy!
.
 
Thanks for the info guys! I'm definately never gonna sell the beast as it has too much sentimental value in my family! If I can fix the stock or find another I'll try to practice up with it this summer and use it for hunting this fall.
Anyone know where a guy can find a stock for one of these?
 
Thanks for the info guys! I'm definately never gonna sell the beast as it has too much sentimental value in my family! If I can fix the stock or find another I'll try to practice up with it this summer and use it for hunting this fall.
Anyone know where a guy can find a stock for one of these?

Look up Bishops. You might have to alter your new stock but all that should involve is shortening the forestock. You should be able to just find a higher front ramp sight that will drop your shooting.

Cheers. Steve.
 
FWIW, I would not fix that crack in the stock. It's held captive by the way it inserts in the receiver and should not spread in normal use. Leave it as is, should last another 100+ years that way.

Great looking .303 Martini carbine.
 
FWIW, I would not fix that crack in the stock. It's held captive by the way it inserts in the receiver and should not spread in normal use. Leave it as is, should last another 100+ years that way.

Great looking .303 Martini carbine.

Alright I'll give it a try but if it gets worse I'll blame you! lol
I soaked the bore good with hoppes 9 and couldn't believe the copper fouling I got out! squeeky clean now and shoots accurately (but still 3' high) no more ruptured brass since I pulled apart and disposed of the imperial ammo!
 
If you are handloading for the .303, the best brass EVER made is the Canadian WW2 stuff headstamped "DI Z DATE" at noon, 4 and 8 o'clock. It is Defence Industries, made only to 1945 and it was all noncorrosive and nonmercuric, it all had rims that were perfect at .063", cases were at mil spec for lengh and diameter. The ammo shot superbly when it was new, although most of it now is 65-plus. If you luck out at gun show, it shows up in 48-round boxes and single specimens. For shootin' ammo some of it still is very good. For reloading brass, you will not find better, although Prvi Partizan is close. Good thought is to anneal lightly the case-necks at this remove in time. Frankly, I hoard this stuff as I can find nothing better.
.
 
If you are handloading for the .303, the best brass EVER made is the Canadian WW2 stuff headstamped "DI Z DATE" at noon, 4 and 8 o'clock. It is Defence Industries, made only to 1945 and it was all noncorrosive and nonmercuric, it all had rims that were perfect at .063", cases were at mil spec for lengh and diameter. The ammo shot superbly when it was new, although most of it now is 65-plus. If you luck out at gun show, it shows up in 48-round boxes and single specimens. For shootin' ammo some of it still is very good. For reloading brass, you will not find better, although Prvi Partizan is close. Good thought is to anneal lightly the case-necks at this remove in time. Frankly, I hoard this stuff as I can find nothing better.
.

good to know! at this point i only plan on using it for 1 hunting season so I'll just use factory and throw away brass (unless someone in lethbridge wants it) I do still have some old military surplus VII ball but have never tried it
 
You lucky b****r! That's a really nice one.

I got one similar to it a few years back, also with the markings scrubbed, but the bore was shot out and it had an "abbreviated" forestock, not the longer one like yours. I got Epps to fit an SMLE barrel to it and am planinng to get a full SMLE "front end" (forestock and handguards etc.) to make it into one of these:

Platypuss.jpg


(Can't remember where I got the pic, alas.)

Mine also has about a 12-lb. trigger so there will be several hours invested in trying to clean that up.

BTW, be warned: Martinis can be addictive. If you don't bellieve me, Google "Martini-Henry forum", where the addicts hang out!

I have two others, an original .310 Cadet:
Cadet.jpg


and a large-action (like yours) converted by Parker-Hale to .22 Hornet, which I am in the process of working up loads for:
AG%20Parker%2022%20Hornet.jpg


I doubt very much that you will find anyone making stocks for them. Since your front sight is one piece, you don't have the option of finding a taller one to bring the POI down, and it would be a shame (some would say a travesty) to have that one taken off and replaced, althogh a gunsmith could do the job cleanly; just keep the original.

:) Stuart
 
Thanks for the info guys! I'm definately never gonna sell the beast as it has too much sentimental value in my family! If I can fix the stock or find another I'll try to practice up with it this summer and use it for hunting this fall.
Anyone know where a guy can find a stock for one of these?

try I.M.A. just google it.
By the way ...they all shoot high.
And thats a very nice rifle.:)
 
Back
Top Bottom