Identifying Belgian Nagant Revolver as Antique

Thiopento

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Toronto
I'm wondering whether this Belgian nagant is antique status, there are several proofmarks but they are not the typical 'ELG over star' proofs, anyone know what proofs these are and if they can be tracked to production before 1898 ? Cheers -

JFwBajm.jpg

ctlK8uG.jpg

2zsCu3j.jpg

pT1JenI.jpg

0IliFOk.jpg

EmpJgQ7.jpg
 
Belgian Custom Service Nagant Model 1878/86 Revolver. EGB Belgian government proof mark. Grips are not original.
 
Last edited:
Wow, thanks JP, you hit the nail on the head there. Just googling more info on the Nagant Customs model 1878/86 in 9.4mm Nagant I see the production ran from 1886 - 1940, apparently exact production numbers are unknown but estimated at 2800 with a third of those specifically the Customs model.

ZPv0cXK.jpg


Anyone know where the cutoff for 1897 production is, is there an FRT for it ?
 
i hope it's a antique i bid on it already

It should be an antique.

I have its younger variant a Swedish 1887 model Nagant, that is an antique.

nagant1.jpg


nagant2.jpg


Its a very early Swedish handgun that was actually made by the Nagant brothers not the later production by the Husqvarna factory. This is one of the earliest pre Husqvarna production 1887 that I have come across. Has pre 1893 Liege proofs, also based on the 3 digit serial was made in the the first year of production for this model(1888). It was part of the original Swedish Army's order of 2600 revolvers that was produced by Nagant. It has the Swedish inspection officer's initials CL -Christofer Lemchen one of two officers assigned to inspect and accept these for the army in 1888. Its the only know human link I have to this gun. Joachim Christofer Lemchen , born on 7 March 1851 , died 9 January 1932 He would have been a second lieutenant in Jönköping regiment when he inspected this gun for the army. In 1911 he became Major General and Commander of Karlsborg. He resigned in 1918.

Based on the rack markings looks like it at some point ended it's martial duty and was reissued to Swedish paramilitary Landstormen unit( akin to a reserve/territorial army) probably pre WWI but certainly could have served well past WWII. Neat history, neat guns.

I have to sadly admit I have yet to shoot it even after owning it for several years. Its in remarkable condition so I doubt the original owners shot it at all :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom