Identifying rifling types

josquin

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Mission, B.C.
This comes from the Ammo forum in a thread originally asking about Webley revolvers
but it ended up straying OT so I thought it might also be of interest here.

"sovereignright" posted this pic of some odd rifling types
which none of us could fully identify:

Rifling.png


so I posted the pic on the British Militaria Forums under
Sporting Rifles and Other Old Guns and got this reply:

1. Alexander Henry
2. Enfield / Snider
3. Ezekiel Baker
4. W. E. Metford's later type marking the transition from muzzle to breech loading.
5. Ratchet rifling tried by more than one maker.
6. Jacobs
7. Whitworth
8. Lancaster's Oval Bore.

--------------------------------------------
W. S. Curtis, A.C.I.I.,
Vice President (Hon.), Crimean War Research Society,
HBSA (Hon. Life),
Assistant Curator, Museum of the National Rifle Association,
Whitworth Rifle Research Project,
MLAGB, NLRC, ATRA, &c.

Not in the pic was the belted bore of the Brunswick Rifle (like #6 but with a single belt.)

:) Stuart
 
Back
Top Bottom