Identifying Winchester 1892

Shiska

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, my dad just presented me a secret family heirloom. Its a model 1892 Winchester that's been passed down for at least a few generations but the history is pretty fuzzy. I really don't know anything about antique rifles so I'm trying to get some ideas about where to look to find dates of manufacture, value or history.

The rifle has an octagonal barrel, is marked with 38 W.C.F. on the upper, right in front of the chamber and there's a serial number on the bottom which reads 64196. I'd say the rifle is in very good condition. Internally shes all clean and lubed and there's no signs of rust of the body. The wood furniture still shines as well.

Thanks for any help gents. It's much appreciated
 
I believe its chambered in 38-40 W.C.F stands for winchester center fire. I think in the early 50's winchester changed that. Others will correct me if im wrong. It is a early one made in 1894. If its in really good shape thats definitly a nice old gun. If you can post pics that would be nice.
 
Last edited:
As Grayman mentioned, your rifle was made in 1894. It sounds nice. I have had various 38-40's. It is a fun cartridge, good for deer, coyotes, etc. out to 100 yards.
 
Nice old rifles, likely the smoothest action ever built on a lever-gun. Tiny bit of oil goes a very long way.

This is an easy cartridge to handload. Brass is still available but, if you can't find any, get .44-40 brass and just size it. Bullet diameter is .401 or a bit above, depending on the actual rifle. It is also a good cartridge for cast bullets: MUCH cheaper than factory stuff, you can shoot it for a dime a shot and your barrel will never wear out.

Document it absolutely as much as you can. It may "only" be a 3- or 4-generation gun now, but generations have a habit of growing..... and knowledge has a habit of being lost.

Definitely one to treasure for a lifetime..... and never, never, never sell.

Congrats on becoming the Keeper of a family treasure.

Hope this helps.
............ ..................... ......................

Shiksa? Oy vey!
 
Back
Top Bottom