Several times now I have suggested changing a 32 cal prohib to 22 morris shell. I finally got around to actually doing it. The gun is a S&W top break from the 1870s or 80s and was 32 S&W and therefore prohib instead of antique. The shells are made from 22 hornet shells cut roughly in half. On this particular gun the cylinder is so short that I had to chamber it to the 22 morris short. The gun that I practiced on first was a Hopkins and Allen 38 S&W and with the longer cylinder I was able to make it to the 22 morris long. For anyone considering making one of these changes, be advised that the CFC recognizes 3 length ; the short, long and extra long.
Anyhow I made cylinder bushings from an old piece of 22 barrel and soldered them in place. The barrel liner was from a centerfire 22 barrel turned down to roughly 5/16 and I through bored the barrel on the gun to slightly larger so that the CFC could not say that the gun could be converted back by removing the barrel liner. Maximum charge of the 22 morris long in a strong gun is somewhere around 2.0 grains of Green Dot but with the short morris and in a weaker action I had to drop down to 1.2 grains. Because the bullet is seated much deeper in the shell, pressures run a lot higher for the same amount of powder. The remaining problem is that I have to drop down to a 40 bullet because with 45 grain bullets they are still keyholing at 15 yards. I have to assume that in the original rifle, they were probably traveling 3 times as fast as my velocities and the added velocity stabilized them
cheers mooncoon


Anyhow I made cylinder bushings from an old piece of 22 barrel and soldered them in place. The barrel liner was from a centerfire 22 barrel turned down to roughly 5/16 and I through bored the barrel on the gun to slightly larger so that the CFC could not say that the gun could be converted back by removing the barrel liner. Maximum charge of the 22 morris long in a strong gun is somewhere around 2.0 grains of Green Dot but with the short morris and in a weaker action I had to drop down to 1.2 grains. Because the bullet is seated much deeper in the shell, pressures run a lot higher for the same amount of powder. The remaining problem is that I have to drop down to a 40 bullet because with 45 grain bullets they are still keyholing at 15 yards. I have to assume that in the original rifle, they were probably traveling 3 times as fast as my velocities and the added velocity stabilized them
cheers mooncoon




















































