IMA Brunswick Untouched

I have ordered several I.M.I. untouched rifles
the provisio they have on these is
What you might not get:
• Screws [Sling Swivel, Butt Plate, Lock, etc]
• Nipple
• Sights
• Brass Nose Cap
• Sling Swivel
• Barrel Pins
• Other bits…

Typical Condition:
• Will show Rust
• Will be Covered in filth
• May not operate
• May be incomplete
• Stock may be broken or cracked
• May be frozen in grime

They sell these rifles as "untouched" -very likely for the reason that they don't believe they will clean up very well - or there are obvious problems.
I have bought six "untouched" firearms from I.M.I. two were satisfactory - just barely and the rest were parts guns. I have also bought their "cleaned up " guns and they are expensive for what you get. Look at the photos very carefully - you may get better than the photos - or you may get worse.
You will not get the gun in the photo.
 
Yes indeed, I read the spiel on these untouched guns, too. They more or less tell you you're buying a piece of sh!t. I was tempted, but only for a moment.... :)

It is a question of what you are expecting; are you expecting a gun in perfect condition for $250 (before shipping and taxes) when a british percussion enfield sells for $12 - $1500 or are you expecting a gun with a good bore and all the major pieces, nothing major broken, that can be repaired and brought back to shooting for a fraction of the price of the british gun. I have a nepalese P53 that will be going on the exchange soon; bore was sharp, no major wear on the lock parts, no major pitting on the metal. The stock needed some wood replaced, I recrowned the barrel and replaced the lock screws and the nipple and the previous owner did a lot of work cleaning the grunge off of it. It is now a functional gun.
Was it a piece of crap when it arrived --- I would say it had potential and I think most of that potential was realized.

cheers mooncoon
 
It is a question of what you are expecting; are you expecting a gun in perfect condition for $250 (before shipping and taxes) when a british percussion enfield sells for $12 - $1500 or are you expecting a gun with a good bore and all the major pieces, nothing major broken, that can be repaired and brought back to shooting for a fraction of the price of the british gun. I have a nepalese P53 that will be going on the exchange soon; bore was sharp, no major wear on the lock parts, no major pitting on the metal. The stock needed some wood replaced, I recrowned the barrel and replaced the lock screws and the nipple and the previous owner did a lot of work cleaning the grunge off of it. It is now a functional gun.
Was it a piece of crap when it arrived --- I would say it had potential and I think most of that potential was realized.

cheers mooncoon

IMI recognizes that potential. If it is more work than cleaning up - ie repairing a stock it goes into the "untouched, for sale later pile". Guns that have parts missing and will clean up nicely will be cleaned up and parts will be salvaged from the worse "untouched guns".
IMI sells left over parts as well from the salvage guns.
The guns from IMI that I have successfully worked over had what looked like some serious damage to them when I got them and that is why I believe they were in the untouched catagory. It took a lot of time and effort and very careful cleaning to get them to shine up.
One of the untouched guns I received from IMI had the barrel come off the action in shipping - someone had apparently removed the barrel at tone time then turned it in loose by hand about four or five threads. The threads in the action were ok, the threads on the barrel were corroded to the point where the barrel was dangerous.

And one - a snider - was missing the buttplate and cleaned up extremely well - except it has no British stampings on it at all and only Thai script on the action. And a couple of worm holes in the stock where an insect had burrowed under the cosmoline. Tough insects in the Thai Royal Armory.
The stock is not English hardwood either but a mystery wood/.
 
Thanks for all your feedback. What I'm hoping for is a project that will most likely be a wall hanger, and I'll settle for a glimmer of a chance that it may be shootable. I'm not scared of the restoration work and as for a few little parts missing, I can deal with that as necessary. Sounds like these are hit and miss and perhaps it would be worth the extra 50 for the hand select, as I`m sure they would send a real bad one up here knowing it`s not worth it for me to return it. Does this sound like a realistic expectation.
 
Back
Top Bottom