IMA Snider cleaning rod disappointment(update w/new pics) Happy ending

Mangil

Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Quebec
:)Please check the update (page 3) with pics of the new rod


I just received a supposedly handpicked Snider Enfield cleaning rod (Paid $5 more for a special select)

Disappointed doesn't even start to describe how I feel about it...

The rod they send me is nowhere near the condition of the pictures in the website... It is completely rusted and twisted

Seriously, this is not the kind of product I was expecting from IMA :(

BTW, What is that bulge near the head... it dosent even fit in the grove of in the stock...is it something normal???


SniderEnfield041.jpg


SniderEnfield042.jpg


SniderEnfield043.jpg


SniderEnfield044.jpg


SniderEnfield045.jpg


SniderEnfield046.jpg


SniderEnfield049.jpg


SniderEnfield054.jpg


SniderEnfield057.jpg
 
Last edited:
holy crap they list them as very good condition! and for the 60 bucks it cost you......

send them these pics and maybe they will make good. Not many folks enf up happy with IMA
 
Junk in.....junk out!!!!! This "stuff" that they are marketing has had a negative effect on the market for quality built arms of that period. I see it all the time....someone buys a rifle from them because it's cheap...cheap...and then I see posts start about where to find parts and how to repair damage which is really not repairable. Questions about shootability are also asked...bulged or worn chambers etc. In the long run the buyer ends up witha 3rd class wall hanger which cost more than a quality one and will never be anything but a bitsa. (My opinion). The ramrod though I would be sending it back. An original rammer would be in the $100.00 area or a repro at about $25.00. Hank Holm in Calgary makes top quality repro rammers for the Snider. PM me if you would like his e-mail address. Good luck, Dave
 
The rod is for the 1st and 2nd pattern Enfield P1853s. The swell held the rod in the stock. P53 third pattern had a rod retaining spring in the stock.
IMA should advertise their wares as in "NRA grim condition".
 
I just ordered one last week so well see how that goes.......:redface:

The martini bayonet I ordered from them a year ago was absolutuly beautiful after a good scrub down, it is covered in british markings and is a gem! "infact its the nicest piece I have seen from them in Canada!"

My 61 springfield has a spot for a swell near the tip like that, if she doesnt fit your rifle musket maybe we can trade for something...my springfield is a bit rough aswell;)

Either/or try giving her a cleaning, its not even worth sending it back.

You can bet if my ramrod comes in this condition I will be pissed right off, its not a cheap item, ---50 bucks before shipping.:eek:


Please post these pictures on the british militaria forum, Mr Cranmer is the owner of IMA he regularly posts there and maybe these pictures will get him to tighten up on his quality control and send you a proper one no charge!....This ram rod -as is- maybe is worth 10 bucks at most.

Im dying to buy one of their as is pieces....
 
Last edited:
As someone mentioned that is for the 53 Pattern muzzle loader. I have had only good luck from IMA. Original parts like a rod should not have rusted out areas if being sold especially select. Be worth mentioning and maybe receive a discount on next order, don't think this would be worth returning though.
 
I don't understand why people buy this garbage. This IMA stuff is crap. I agree 100% with Dantforth. Buy yourself quality parts and you will have no complaints. It might even go up in value over the years. I would much rather buy a good Canadian marked long gun before I would ever even consider that IMA material. Quality Pakistani and Indian parts guns and pieces just aren't worth owning.
 
looks like you got what you paid for. I am sure the OP wishes he was amongst the 20 or 30 percent that have that experience with IMA>
 
mine just showed up

I stayed up later then normal today "im a night shift guy" to wait for my parcel, It showed up 20 minutes ago.

Its not perfect , but its what I expected "aside from the bulge"

I think a little work with my bench grinder some straightening and it will do the job for my old Canadian 3 band

Maybe they made a error with your order???

I was thinking if you straightened your rod and ground down the bulge you could smooth the surface with soft solder??

Any pits on mine may get treated as such.

For the record, mine was not special select either.




cleaningrod008.jpg

cleaningrod007.jpg

cleaningrod006.jpg
 
Received an Email from IMA today... I think I will simply send the rod back for a refund

Dear customer:

We’re very sorry that you are not satisfied with the Snider Enfield cleaning rod you received. If you like you can send back the rod, and we will try to find one in better condition. Unfortunately as with most of the Nepal items that we have, condition varies significantly, and it is possible that the rod you received was the best that we had in stock at the time.
 
Sending it all the way back for a refund....will they swap yours for a better one?

Or are you just finished with the transaction???
 
Last edited:
The rod was send back...I asked them to send me a good "straight" rod (no swell) or refund me
Sadly, If they dont have the correct rod, the shipping cost will almost be equal to the refund

Something tell me I will end up with a repro...........
 
Back
Top Bottom