Ima's nepal cache pattern 1853 rifle musket -as found-

Musketfire

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Algoma region
Hello gentlemen!

A few weeks ago I purchased one of the Nepal cache 1853 enfield pattern rifle muskets from IMA in -as found condition-

I figured I would share my thoughts and progress so far with you guys.

She arrived covered in a solid peanut shell like black layer, looking mostly complete

1853enfield034.jpg

1853enfield031.jpg

1853enfield030.jpg

1853enfield028.jpg

1853enfield027.jpg


I have so far stripped her down "yes carefully" and started cleaning her up and inspecting for damage

1853restoration008.jpg

1853restoration009.jpg


1853restoration011.jpg

1853restoration012.jpg

1853restoration013.jpg


Here's the worst of the pitting on the barrel "my example is dare I say in splendid shape!!"
The bore is beautiful with a couple pits but tons of rifling and shine!!!
All that color is original finish....just sublime!!!

Worst bit is the nipple needs to be filed out.....but I'm not to that point quite yet....

1853restoration020.jpg

1853restoration014.jpg

1853restoration021.jpg

1853restoration022.jpg

1853restoration017.jpg


And here's the stock cleaning progression so far....yes lots of time steel wool and mineral spirits....sure there's easier/quicker ways
with caustic death chemicals that will eat the wood as quickly as the grime.....

I am convinced this is the best way to maintain the integrity and beauty of the wood, which by the way is coming up beautifully.

1853restoration029.jpg

1853restoration033.jpg



So yes here she is so far coming along far far better then I ever could have hoped!

The lock has some odd french looking marks to add to the whole mystery of it.

The bayonet fits like a glove and the ram rod is in good shape too.

I will post more shots as I progress.

I think It was a great buy and a great value for a arm of startling quality.


I hope you like the pictures.
 
Last edited:
Wow, the bore came up clean and shiny? Methinks you got pretty lucky there!

I'll be interested to see the finished job.

I take it the nipple is broken off in the hole?

Somewhere I have a set of left hand drill bits...you drill progressively bigger until...hopefully one of the bits grab and it suddenly spins the stub out.

Lots of penetrating oil etc...
 
I haven't even really gone gung ho on the bore yet....:eek:

In between scrubbing and stripping and staring at everything else I give the bore a bit of the clp and a few swipes with the bore brush "a worn out 12 g one:D"
Then clean the "scrubbins" out with a rag on my rod jig and there you go.

Lots of rifling, what may be a few scattered pits and lots of shine, needless to say I'm happy with it so far.

The clp just left in there seems to slowly dissolve the gunk.


With the nipple "top broke off leaving the body in the threading" I'm going to file a slot in it that will fit a screwdriver and screw it out with some light heat, If that doesn't work Ill let the gunsmith do it and pay him 50 bucks for his time.

I find it surprising how high quality and well made the parts are, this was a proper battle arm in its day, that was well maintained by its trooper.

I give great thanks to the man who greased her before she went into storage, he did a proper job indeed!
 
The barrel is in slicker condition then some of my already "seasoned" muzzleloading arms.

Shes a shooter...Or will be when Im done

The path to the destination is truly half the fun ;).

Good barrel a mostly solid stock, and we have yet to talk about the lock.

Huzzah
 
Last edited:
Nice find! You seem to be doing a very good job restoring her back to life.

:)


If you don't mind me asking.. how much does IMA charge for shipping and did you have to get an RCMP letter in order to get this through customs? How much were the duties/taxes?

I'm asking because I was interested in some of the Martinis they have, but I found there's very little info to go on about the actual shipping process to Canada (on their website). Thanks!
 
Looks like you got a good one. Did you get it on the "special sale weekend"?

Nope, I sent for it a few days before the special.....I sent Mr Cranmer a email hoping to maybe get a strap or a little store credit,

well he was awesome he sent me his dvd and a copy of his book both signed.
I am now a big fan of his company - he replied to me in person, impressive customer service if you ask me.

Now regarding the other question regarding shipping, nope no rcmp letter or other such thing, this is obviously a antique;)
rcmp letters would be better to send to get a pistol or maybe a old rim-fire rifle with a tube magasine.

I requested regular usps and waited it took almost 2.5 weeks in customs and cost me just shy of 55$$ shipping.

This is my first rifle musket from them, aside from that all I have bought was straps, bayonets and ramrods etc....

I am pleased with the buy and the value for my dollar.

And really if you watch the film -treasure is where you find it- the history is rather spellbinding.
 
I just finished putting a few more hours into the stock, there's just so much grime - STILL- coming off of it....wow...

Anyhow shes really coming a few more hours of scrubbing should make the stock ready for me to begin some repairs.

A few cracks need to be filled/epoxied and a small part on the toe needs to be replaced....Then I will fix any small cracks in the breach and bed it.

The pictures here are after further degreasing/scrubbing with mineral spirits,

After that I give it all a good soaking with more mineral spirits and just let more of the crud be drawn out as it dries.

Very fun project


1853enfieldcontinued004.jpg

1853enfieldcontinued005.jpg
 
No rot, just tons of goop and soaked in mystery sludge in all the nooks, tiny cracks and crannies.

The mineral spirits is drawing it out a bit at a time, to repair it in a lasting and quality fashion all the sludge must be gone, thats taking some patient work.

It will be worth it when shes complete.
 
The barrel is in slicker condition then some of my already "seasoned" muzzleloading arms.

Shes a shooter...Or will be when Im done

The path to the destination is truly half the fun ;).

Good barrel a mostly solid stock, and we have yet to talk about the lock.

Huzzah

Did you order a best selected rifle or did you just get a luck of the draw.I have to admit I'm a bit interested in one of their martini-Henry's!!
 
the one that I had, the rifling was sharp and minimal pitting but the bore was slightly tighter for the first 10" at the breach end then opened up a bit. Other than that it was virtually identical to the british gun.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom