importing a muzzleloading percussion barrel

I am pretty sure that blackpowder firearms are not considered as firearms by the States or alot of other countrys. Check the BATF website. Of course if it's percussion you need a PAL for it here. There is no problem as far as Canada is concerned.
 
I tried to bring a Green Mt barrel from Midway to an Alberta gunsmith that had all the correct import papers and the Homeland Security nuts red flagged it and wouldn't allow shipping as it was .50 cal or larger! It was for a .54 Renegade 1-70 ball twist................Idiots..............Harold
 
I've been buying ML barrels from several retail sources in the USA for the past 5 years without a single glitch on either side of the border. I have a PAL but have never been asked for any evidence that I have one - until I register the (percussion) rifle. A kit isn't a firearm until capable of being fired so PAL is irrelevant, I guess. I pay shipping and sometimes have to pay GST. No special permits or anything else required. Once completed and capable of being fired, I register the percussion guns but not the flint rifles I build. All flint and percussion pistols must be registered.
Interestingly, I phoned the CFC to register a newly completed percussion rifle (they designated it as a "home made single shot rifle" ) several months ago and they sent the certificate in a few weeks but not a serial number or the serial number sticker. I waited 2 months then phoned about the serial number sticker and was advised not to worry as it would come in the mail soon - that was several months ago and am still waiting..... not a priority with the CFC I guess.
 
Last edited:
I waited 2 months then phoned about the serial number sticker and was advised not to worry as it would come in the mail soon - that was several months ago and am still waiting..... not a priority with the CFC I guess.

Can't you just strike your own serial number on a gun you build yourself and avoid the sticker?

You could be creative: FAHQCFC :D
 
I've been buying ML barrels from several retail sources in the USA for the past 5 years without a single glitch on either side of the border. I have a PAL but have never been asked for any evidence that I have one - until I register the (percussion) rifle. A kit isn't a firearm until capable of being fired so PAL is irrelevant, I guess. I pay shipping and sometimes have to pay GST. No special permits or anything else required. Once completed and capable of being fired, I register the percussion guns but not the flint rifles I build. All flint and percussion pistols must be registered.
Interestingly, I phoned the CFC to register a newly completed percussion rifle (they designated it as a "home made single shot rifle" ) several months ago and they sent the certificate in a few weeks but not a serial number or the serial number sticker. I waited 2 months then phoned about the serial number sticker and was advised not to worry as it would come in the mail soon - that was several months ago and am still waiting..... not a priority with the CFC I guess.

Where do you find the kits online? And are most places alright with shipping to Canada lol?
 
I am looking to buy a .45 caliber black powder barrel. Does anyone have a recommended US supplier who is used to shipping to Canada? I would buy from Canada but I'm not aware of any suppliers here.
 
Joe & Suzie are great people to deal at thegunworks.com. They bought out Sharon barrel, and changed the name to Oregon barrel.

Cheers nessy.
 
I have had many good experiences with Track of the Wolf (Minnesota) and with Pecatonica Long Rifle Supplies (Illinois) and will be ordering some stuff from Muzzle Loader Builders Supply (Idaho) soon. They have barrels of all sizes from Green Mtn, Colerain, Rice and others so you can get almost anything you want. You can order directly from their online catalogues.
Regarding serial numbers, when I first registered all my guns at the last minute in 2002, I made up serial numbers for my home-built rifles and these were accepted by the CFC. A couple years later when trying to register a "Kit Gun" I suggested this same idea because of course there aren't serial numbers on the parts, and they almost came though the phone! They assured me that I must get the new serial number from them. I can only guess that because I am not a licensed manufacturer, they want to make sure the new Ser No. is unique. Regardless, I expect that if you simply gave them a made-up serial number for a new home-built gun that they would not know any better and it would be accepted... Let us know if you try it and it works.
Finally, I asked if I could strike the CFC serial number on the barrel rather than use their sticker and they were fine with that... even on the under side, out of sight was okay with the CFC. Given that the long gun registry might disappear soon, I will use a sticker until such time as the registry is gone then peel it off and discard it, rather than permanently mark the barrel with a stamp.
 
Back
Top Bottom