Importing an antique from the United States

cogito

New member
Rating - 98.1%
52   1   1
Hi all,

I have been slowly growing my collection of antique firearms. I just found a Webley that I have been searching for some time but its located in the USA.

Anyone here privy to the laws and process of importing an antique from the states?

Thanks :)
 
buy it and have it mailed to you.it's in your own best interest to apply for an RCMP letter of antique status and forward a copy to the seller and have them include it with the iron when mailed.
check out the verification sticky for contact info.
 
Last edited:
buy it and have it mailed to you.it's in your own best interest to apply for an RCMP letter of antique status and forward a copy to the seller and have them include it with the iron when mailed.
check out the verification sticky for contact info.
+1 Simple as that. Done it several times. The RCMP letter is the cat's meow for speeding it right on through customs.
 
I was just talking to a dealer and he mentioned he had problems sending it to Canada and was very hesitant to do it. He states that Canada's laws prohibit certain calibers under antique classification... he said it should be an obsolete cartridge. I have yet to hear of this. I thought the law stated it just had to be pre 1898.

Anyone else know about that?
 
Look at the sticky above - "Link To CFC Antique Regs". They have to be pre-1898, AND the caliber can't be one of the exempted ones they list.
 
Thanks!

Here is a copy/paste for future reference.

HANDGUNS

6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.
 
Make sure it's not from Leo Hamel known as fairfax cause he's a crook. He sells mostly junk as I just found out. I believe some of the other guys can tell you the same thing. If it isn't Leo you are probably safe.
 
Make sure it's not from Leo Hamel known as fairfax cause he's a crook. He sells mostly junk as I just found out. I believe some of the other guys can tell you the same thing. If it isn't Leo you are probably safe.

Did you end up doing a deal with him?

A letter is highly recommended. I phoned in to get a couple and had them emailed to me by the end of the day. State that you require the letter for importing an antique and they will get it to you faster.
 
Just looking at those restrictions, doesn't say anything about 9mm.... is 9mm pre 1898 okay?

edit: never mind, it probably a different type of 9mm.
 
Last edited:
You have to be careful, the calibre list is not complete. I tried to buy Merwin and Hulbert in .38M&H and have it classified as an antique. The age was fine, but they insisted that the calibre was the same as 38S&W, even though I had the president of the Merwin and Hulbert Collector Association. tell them differently. The upchuck is get the RCMP letter.
 
You have to be careful, the calibre list is not complete. I tried to buy Merwin and Hulbert in .38M&H and have it classified as an antique. The age was fine, but they insisted that the calibre was the same as 38S&W, even though I had the president of the Merwin and Hulbert Collector Association. tell them differently. The upchuck is get the RCMP letter.

It's not that the caliber list is incomplete.

In that case I've been informed it's due to finding some period advertising with the Merwin and Hulbert being advertised as .38S&W. Of course this could be an advertisement for a Mewin and Hulbert actually chambered in .38S&W with a completely different gun being the actual .38M&H but the kicker is nobody is around anymore to tell us otherwise.

The .38 M&H is a seperate cartridge from .38S&W but it's the advertising that got this one nipped in the bud, at least that's what I've been told.
 
Back
Top Bottom