Importing an Antique Pistol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for an explanation of the process for importing antique pistols. It seems like they can just send it in the mail, but it can't be that easy. CBSA would no doubt find and flag it, and it would be held pending my proving its antique status. At least that's what I figure. Here's what I've found:

CBSA Website said:
On the other hand, antique firearms are not considered firearms for licensing and registration purposes. Antique firearms include:

any firearms manufactured before 1898 that are not originally designed or redesigned to discharge rim-fire or centre-fire ammunition;
long guns manufactured in 1898 or later that are reproductions of flintlock, wheel-lock, or matchlock firearms; and
firearms that are classified as antique by regulations.

If you are a Canadian resident or a visitor to Canada, you can import firearms that are considered to be antiques under the Criminal Code. You do not need to register antique firearms, and you do not need a licence if you are the owner of antique firearms. Please note: safe storage and transportation requirements still apply.

For additional information regarding importation requirements for each class of firearm, see the section called "Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals."

The "Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals" simply repeats this section. I'm sure some people here have bought out of country, so I'd like to hear from you please.
 
Yup, send it in the mail...and it is just that easy. Make sure that it is classified as an antique (year of manufacturing and caliber that is not on the no-go list). It's a bonus if the seller can mail it with some documentation stating what the gun is and what calibre but not entirely nessesary. I've bought 4 from the states personally, 2 were inspected and 2 were not...hit and miss really.
 
That's great, thanks for the reply. Who could imagine it would be so easy, with our laws?

I'm surprised there's nothing in the stickies about importation.
 
In person with an antique letter is the best, followed by a FRT listing, followed by those two via mail. Personally I would not use mail but that's just me.
 
I imported an antique Webley last month. It was 3 days from Texas to my hands. Less than an hour to clear customs according to the tracking info emails I received. I had the seller include the Gunbroker ad and a copy of the FRT.
 
My most recent antique status rifle took3 weeks to arrive from Arkansas via USPS and CanadaPost.

It got inspected by CBSA but was only delayed a couple of days by them.

I was charged GST of 5% + $10CAD handling fee.
 
Im currently importing an antique percussion pistol, my challenge is it doesn't have any manufacturers mark.

I have photos of similar pistols which identifies but I'm not sure that will be enough proof.

Bria
 
Back
Top Bottom