In-Line question

Rogue_wave

Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi to all and thanks to those who respond. I have gotten into the in -line muzzle loading as a way to extend my deer season. The problem that I have found is once I clean my rifle , the next time to the range the first one down the pipe is usually what I would call a flier. A little low and to the left. The next two are right on the money, I then brush, swab and continue. I will assume that it is because the barrel is clean and non fouled. My thought is that what if after I clean with solvent and oil, I fire a .209 primer which is non corrosive to foul the barrel. Any one have any ideas on this, or if it will work? As far as I know the primers are non corrosive and should not harm the barrel if it sits like that for a while. This I would think solve my first shot flier. Any ideas ???
 
No real way I have found. You will see a lot of old those in the know advice about firing a fouling round first before you load for a hunt. The best thing is to test at the range and see the changes. FWIW, the key is consistency. If you swab between shots, then keep doing so. If you sight in your rifle for a perfectly clean barrel, then do so.

I follow the old advice and send off a fouling shot prior to the hunt as I have sighted in for a fouled barrel. This means after the days hunt you fire it off and repeat the process. Primers will not foul a barrel like a first shot will with Pyrodex. This is part of the charm of doing things the old way.

My 2c.
 
It is not unusual my Encore throws one six high and six left on a clean barrel. A primer or two to clean the nipple and any oil then I usually throw 20 grains of powder under a patch and touch it off. I have done this the night before then load in the morning after another primer of course or simply load it for morning after the 20 grn charge. My gun usually does not get cleaned other than an occasional spit patch through a week of hunting unless in an extended downpour. Hunt them dirty and sight them in on a spit patch is what the old boys taught me and it has seemed to work for most.
 
I just sight my TC in on a clean barrel myself. Consistency is the key. Whatever you do, do it the same all the time.
 
Is your first cold barrel shot always in the same place? You'll be hunting with a cold barrel.

If your "flyer" is alway 6" low and in the same place, I'd set my sights to that point of impact
 
Back
Top Bottom