Info needed on old bullet (ball) mold .721in

Walther_PPK

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Location
NL
Someone gave me this old mold. I know nothing about it or for what firearm it was designed to cast balls for. Anyone seen one like it? Only markings are "11" on the handle.

IMG_5711.jpg
 
Last edited:
Normally I would expect 11 to be the guage of the ball or of the gun that it went into. Without looking up the diameter of an 11 guage gun, my guess would be that is what it is for

cheers mooncoon
 
Sure would make potent slingshot ammo...

A 12 gauge bore measures .729... so this with a thin patch (4 thou) it would fit a 12 gauge muzzle loader... with a 15 thou thick patch it would fit an 11 gauge. (11 gauge = .751")
 
Last edited:
I may be way off in left field but I understood the numbers on those old moulds indicated the number of balls per pound.

Just checked: There are approximately 13 .715 lead balls to the pound.
 
Last edited:
I may be way off in left field but I understood the numbers on those old moulds indicated the number of balls per pound..

guage and balls per pound are the same thing even though if patching a ball, you would use a smaller guage ball, as guntech pointed out

cheers mooncoon
 
I would say 11 gauge as marked and was used for the Brown Bess among others. A friend found one in his attic a few years back, he also found the Brown Bess that goes with it(albeit cut down) but still cool.
 
Back
Top Bottom