Info on Remington-Hepburn No 3 with pictures now

jimmyjazz

CGN frequent flyer
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 99.9%
779   1   0
Location
PEC
A friend has a Remington Hepburn No 3 - 45/70
He is looking to sell and wondering of value and if its safe to fire modern 45/70 ammo through it.
It's in decent shape just regular wear and dated around 1890's

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

004.jpg
[/IMG]

001.jpg
[/IMG]

003.jpg
[/IMG]

002.jpg
[/IMG]

JJ
 
Last edited:
Hepburn # 3

Hepburns can be very nice shooting guns, I've owned several of them through the years, and except for a couple of bad barrels, pitted etc they always performed well after due care and attention.
I found without exception they shot better with black powder loads, and cast bullets, The original barrels were made at a time, 1870 to 1880, when gun steels are not really suitable for jacketed bullets, they wear quite fast, as they are comparatively soft.
45-70 is a nice caliber to have in that rifle an should fetch at least $1000 to $1500, in shooting shape, and depending on sights and overall finsh could go to $3000 perhaps. regards Bully
 
I wouldn't fire modern ammo through it. There's the crowd out there that goes to lengths to work up safe smokeless charges, but I'm not confident enough myself.

Looks like it could use a gentle cleaning, hard to tell if that's just gunk on it or light corrosion and damage.

Still looks nice though. How's the bore?
 
#3 Hepburn

It's a pretty standard #3, it doesn't have the correct rear sight, and I wonder what the front sight is? , if you could P M me with details on the barrel length and inside condition of it,I could be a player for it? regards Bully
 
Thanks fellas, I have passed the info onto the owner, he does want to sell just trying to decide a final value.

JJ
 
Back
Top Bottom