Information on 2 'surps: Martini Enfield, and Snider Enfield

camster

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
119   0   2
I hate "What's it worth" threads...

A friend asked me approximate value of 2 different gems. He's intent on selling them, but they are out of my league rifles (I think...)

One is a Martini Henry action rifle. Marked Enfield, and a few other markings. Some pitting on the receiver. Not certain what it's chambered in but certainly not .303 (I'm guessing .577/450). It's filthy, and has hung on a wall for 2 generations. Has cleaning rod.

The other is a Snider (also marked as Enfield) with 3 bands. There is a cut-out for a ram/cleaning rod, but nothing in it (I'm guessing it was for the original ram rod no longer required when converted to breech loading).

I saw the rifles only briefly, so no idea of bore condition. Both ####, and lock.

Need an approximate current value. Will EMT a few bucks for fair information, and not generate hype for them if they end up in the EE. For now a good ballpark range would be ideal. If I can afford them I'll give them a home permanently.

Thanks in advance
 
Last edited:
Cleaning rod aka clearing rods were compulsory for the Snider & Martinis, because of the poor construction of the early rolled ammo. The cases would get stuck in the chambers on a regular basis.
 
Martini $400-$450, assuming its in shootable condition. More if in excellent condition. I suspect its a Mk IV.

Snider, I have not been paying attention to those so don't really know.

About the same for snider,maybe a little less,at gun shows there is usually some one with one they want to get rid of.
I've gotten two @350 each
 
The prices quoted thus far represent 'great deal' prices in my experience, and would suggest both are worth more - the Martini potentially quite a bit more depending on which Mark it is. If it's a Mk I or Mk III, it likely has Canadian provenance and would be closer to four figures in value, if not more in the case of a Mk I. Check the Snider for Canadian regimental markings as well. More information would be useful.

Very easy rifles to reload for these days. Components and supplies are simple to find, and they are great fun to shoot, so if you can acquire them, I think you'll enjoy having them.
 
Tradex has a couple Martini rifles in 577/450 asking $650 each for them. They're advertised as antiques, no pal required. They seem like interesting rifles, and brass is available. That's about all I know about them though.
Kristian
 
Canadian rifles will have a DC stamp somewhere, on the stock likely. Dominion of Canada.

The Snider might not have a DC stamp, having perhaps been acquired before July 1st 1867. My Québec Garrison Artillery short rifle doesn't, but to make up for it, my Welland & Lincoln County three-band rifle has two such stamps - one on each side of the butt.

tac
 
The Snider might not have a DC stamp, having perhaps been acquired before July 1st 1867. My Québec Garrison Artillery short rifle doesn't, but to make up for it, my Welland & Lincoln County three-band rifle has two such stamps - one on each side of the butt.

tac

Tac is correct. There are a number of variations in markings. A 3-band rifle may have regimental markings stamped into the top of the buttplate tang. I started a database of Canadian Sniders over on the British Militaria Forums (https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/database-of-canadian-issue-snider-enfields-t15584.html). Lots of information on that site about Snider and Martini-Henry, and other Victorian and earlier arms.
 
camster: Condition of surviving Sniders is far too variable to generalize about value. For extremely good condition and/ or specific unit markings people will pay $1000+. The extreme case I've seen is a Cavalry Carbine, apparently selling for $1850. Personally I've paid between $600 and $1250 in recent years for Sniders. In all honesty the $600 ones had issues of various sorts. Higher prices should get you a fully complete rifle in good condition but really high prices should get you one with mainly original parts- different factories marked them differently but many had "serial" or "assembly" numbers placed on a large number of parts.

milsurpo
 
Back
Top Bottom