inline advice

go with the encore great rifle. the trick to any muzzleloader is you have to buy different sabots and bullet combos and different powder and primers, like handloading you have to learn how to load the rifle the same every time! same pressure on the bullet with the ram rod, also the most important thing to do is make sure the bullet is seated on the powder charge otherwise all you have is a bomb ,,, it's not for the guy that thinks bullet x and powder y will shoot well from your rifle, all are different ,, some only shoot lead bullets well , some only patched balls /// yet many new style inlines shoot only sabots and bullets ,, the thing is it is hard to tell how much powder charge to use and which bullet combo will shoot well in your rifle,, primers also change things ,, it takes many years of front stuffer shooting to tell if your on the right track good luck however when you find the right combo it's fells very good when you shoot tighter groups with the muzzleloader than your buddies do with there centerfire
 
Sounds like you already have lots of experience stuffin loads down the business end.....
I really like the blackhorn 209 and aside from above trial and error and finding a tight sabot for the barrel to make it work reliably and accurately, it has turned my inlines into as easy to use and clean (actually easier)as my smokeless muzzy (savage). I also am very enthused about the year to year consistancy of this propellant IF properly stored.
To answer your topic.....I like the break open inlines with BH209 and a hot primer with a tight MMP sabot and all is good to at least 150yds with a scope. TC makes a very fine barrel, and a Traditions usually suits the budget with adequate accuracy.
 
I have owned a TC Omega for 5 years. I am still playing around with it in terms of loads, but I have consistently been able to take deer with it during the controlled hunts in Ontario. This is in large measure due to setting the gun up like by center fire deer rifle. I made the decision long ago to use a scope instead of iron sights on my center fire deer rifle. When I took up muzzle loading I made the same decision. Never looked back.

Ease of cleaning was a major issue. And I have to admit that my maintenance skills were not good at the beginning but have improved significantly over time, especially when it comes to the breech plug. While I understand the marketing behind the QR breech plug, and would likely see it as a benefit, I do not find the set up in my Omega a big issue to deal with, especially with the ratchet I now use to remove the breech plug.

Thoughts of purchasing the TC Pro Hunter have entered my head. One gun - two barrels(or more) A ML for the controlled hunt and a 308 for the regular rifle season. But frankly, I am not there yet. Still like the idea of two guns.

But here is the thing, I think the quality is as good in the TC Impact as it is in the Encore. It might not have a few of all of the fancier camo and recoil options, but it does the same thing...it shoots straight and kills deer... and it does it very well. You can pick up a TC Impact for around $350 and I think you will be pleased. The Omega was not an expensive gun. I paid less than $300 brand new from a local dealer. And it does everything I would want it to do. I suspect the Impact will do that as well.

I am not a BP purist. I can appreciate the esthetics of a traditional ML for hunting and may yet venture down that path. But I am not there yet either.

Kevin, I think you will have a lot of fun with which ever gun you chose.



And then you will wonder why you did not do it sooner.
 
Last edited:
I went with the TC Impact. It's got the features I was looking for...
- 50 cal
- easily removeable breech, using a wrench
- 209 primer ignition
- easy start muzzle to get the projectile started down the barrel
- synthetic stocks
- break action, like a single shot shotgun
- adjustable lop if needed
- can use up to 150 grains of blackpowder
- tapped for scope, I put an elite 3200 3-9x40 on it
- fibre optic iron sights as backup

I think that's it... Chuckle! Lots of features & a reasonable price to boot!

Cheers
Jay
 
I went with the TC Impact. It's got the features I was looking for...
- 50 cal
- easily removeable breech, using a wrench
- 209 primer ignition
- easy start muzzle to get the projectile started down the barrel
- synthetic stocks
- break action, like a single shot shotgun
- adjustable lop if needed
- can use up to 150 grains of blackpowder
- tapped for scope, I put an elite 3200 3-9x40 on it
- fibre optic iron sights as backup

I think that's it... Chuckle! Lots of features & a reasonable price to boot!

Cheers
Jay
I just bought the impact weathershield from a site sponsor. It arrived this week. Very impressed with the quality of it for the price. First inine i have ever owned. Can't wait to try it.
 
Back
Top Bottom