I own two inline muzzleloaders, one with a 24" barrel and one with a 26" barrel. I currently shoot pelletized powder from them (IMR White Hots or Triple Se7en). Unfortunately, I don't have a chronograph or access to one - hoping someone has data or can Google search better than me.
1. All things being equal, ideas on how much "faster" the projectile would be going out of the 26" barrel vs the 24" barrel? For example, with 2x50 grain equivalent White Hots and the same projectile.
2. Is there a realistic "maximum" effective powder charge with the 24" barrel? For example, both firearms are rated to 150 grain BP (or equivalent) and with pellets I can use 50, 100, or 150 grain of White Hots. For the Triple Se7en I bought the 60 grain pellets so I can use 2 x 60 = 120 grain. But if my 24" barrel can only efficiently "burn" 100 grains then why bother going over? I get more recoil, smoke, and $$ for no additional velocity.
I know that pretty much any projectile and 90+ grain loads will be sufficient for deer under 100 yards, but I note Hornady, Barnes, and others claim 200 yard performance on their sabots so was curious if this is realistic out of a 24" or a 26" barrel (Barnes online data has their ML projectiles zeroed at 150 yards. Wow)
(As an aside, I think how ML's measure barrel length is bogus. My CVA Wolf has a 24" barrel, but that is from the 209 primer to the end of the barrel. Subtract the breech plug, pellets, and sabot and my barrel is much closer to 19" long).
Thanks!
1. All things being equal, ideas on how much "faster" the projectile would be going out of the 26" barrel vs the 24" barrel? For example, with 2x50 grain equivalent White Hots and the same projectile.
2. Is there a realistic "maximum" effective powder charge with the 24" barrel? For example, both firearms are rated to 150 grain BP (or equivalent) and with pellets I can use 50, 100, or 150 grain of White Hots. For the Triple Se7en I bought the 60 grain pellets so I can use 2 x 60 = 120 grain. But if my 24" barrel can only efficiently "burn" 100 grains then why bother going over? I get more recoil, smoke, and $$ for no additional velocity.
I know that pretty much any projectile and 90+ grain loads will be sufficient for deer under 100 yards, but I note Hornady, Barnes, and others claim 200 yard performance on their sabots so was curious if this is realistic out of a 24" or a 26" barrel (Barnes online data has their ML projectiles zeroed at 150 yards. Wow)
(As an aside, I think how ML's measure barrel length is bogus. My CVA Wolf has a 24" barrel, but that is from the 209 primer to the end of the barrel. Subtract the breech plug, pellets, and sabot and my barrel is much closer to 19" long).
Thanks!


















































